Chapter 21: Edit.

Chapter 21: Edit.

I sat on the floor at Val and Matt’s house, everybody crowded around me. You could feel the happiness in the air. Everybody was happy and laughing. I’d spent all night last night putting my dad’s present together. I was tired but the energy in the room kept me awake. I had eggnog while the guys had a few beers and the ladies had wine. I honestly pray to god that this night doesn’t go down hill.

Jimmy and I woke up fairly early this morning. He got me a stocking and filled it with some little gifts. He said there were more but they were at Matt’s house. Jimmy got me some hair clips and make up. Then we made breakfast, we made; well we attempted to make snow men waffles but that didn’t work out so well. So we just had waffles with bacon and toast. We watched Cartoons before going to see Grandma and Grandpa. I loved what they got me. They got me my own camera and a nice set of drum sticks. They even got me a place for a photo shoot for Katy Price’s young women’s winter wear. I’ll be doing that mid January so I have time to mentally prepare myself.  

I wrapped Jimmy’s present up and it was in my pocket. Dad wanted me to wear something nice so yesterday when I was out with my friends I bought a nice pair of jeans and a tee shirt, I just wore a vest over the tee shirt and my old run down converse as well. I wasn’t much of a dress person but I’ll wear one if Dad wants me too.

I handed everybody their presents and watched as they opened them. I got lots of hugs and happy comments. Overall everything was good. Michelle loved the hand bag; Gena absolutely went crazy over the dress and Val. She couldn’t stop thanking me. The guys were all macho with their thanks you. But I knew they were really happy with what I got them. Everybody got me nice gifts that a teenage girl would love. I got clothes; make up, hair stuff and a bunch of other stuff that I absolutely love.

Dad sat patiently waiting for his gift. I couldn’t help but make him wait until he was last. He sat in a pair of jeans and a button down top. I smiled and pulled the wrapped gift from my pocket and handed it to him. Everybody watched us with high hopes. Jimmy unwrapped the gift and smiled but it was a confused smile. He looked at the case that held a disk in it. He looked at me curiously.

“What is it?” He questioned. I took it from him and went over to the TV. I placed the disk in the DVD player and snagged the remote before sitting back at his feet. I gaze up at him with butterflies in my stomach.

“Yesterday I went to Spencer’s a saw this editing soft wear. So last night I spent all night editing some stuff.” I said then pressed play.

The screen was black at first but then it popped up to back when I was in Chicago. As a kid. I got a few of my friends to send over some old home videos. I digitalised them and then burned them onto a disk. Basically this is my childhood on a little disk.

I watched as Jimmy gaped at my childhood from me being a toddler and learning to walk and talk to Christmas concerts and school plays and holidays. He watched me learn to ride a bike and roller skate. And the fares I’ve been too. All of my past is right here.

Even a video of my mom and me when I was an infant. I love this video. My mom held me in her arms, she was so young. She smiled to the camera and waved happily. I haven’t seen this video in years but I knew that my dad was in this. It’s old; I was only a few days old.

“Say ‘hi daddy’.”  Mom said and waved my hand happily. My little hand had a cover over it so I wouldn’t scratch my face. The camera shifted and it was set down on a table. Jimmy took me from my mom and held me with a huge smile. I know I said I didn’t know my dad and for most of my life, I didn’t. My mom took me away from him when I was a year old. My mom walked out of the frame and left me with Jimmy. He sat in the chair and smiled down at me shyly.

“You are my sunshine, my only sunshine. You make me happy when skies are grey. So please don’t take my sunshine away.” He sang down at me.

I looked up at Jimmy with teary eyes. That’s my favourite video. Jimmy just smiled and watched. The screen went black again before showing me, last year; the night I left. I looked like a train wreak. But my adventure was there, the messages I had to say in between bus rides and on the bus ride there. Then when I called the operator for his address. Even summer vacation was there.

I swear I could see some tears running from his eyes. He smiled and hugged me tightly. I hugged him back happily.

“I love it, sweetie.” He said into my ear. I smiled widely and hugged him back tighter.

“I’m glad.” I replied quietly. I pulled away from him and laughed at the amount of tears that were coming from my eyes. I felt stupid for crying over something I made. They’re just memories, maybe they’re not new but they’re still memories. I smiled and wiped the tears from my eyes. Jimmy smiled and laughed slightly.

“I can’t believe your mom still has that video.” He whimpered. I nodded.

“Yeah, she kept only that video. I didn’t get photos or anything and I practically had to hide that video from Roger.” I babbled on.  Jimmy smiled widely and hugged me tightly again. I loved the fact that he loves the present I got him. I still felt the deepening pit in the bottom of my stomach. It hasn’t left me alone for the whole week. I have a feeling that things are only being masked to hide the truth from me. But it’s Christmas and I really hope that the New Year brings new hope and happiness. Of course it’ll bring new challenges and hardship but in the end I’ll always have my dad. He will always be that safety blanket for me. We will always have each other.

“I love you, dad.” I said with a sugary tone. Jimmy’s mouth curled into a smile and his eyes softened.

“I love you too, Peasnie.” He replied.

The night wore on and everybody had a grand old time. The food was amazing but the memories that were being made were even better. I knew my dad was drunk which left me being the driver home. I’ve driven before, I’m good at him and it’s only a ten minute drive home. He also kept going on about me not being afraid of go after that stallion duck. I knew what he meant by that, he told me to go after my dreams and never be afraid to make hard decisions. He knew exactly how to make me smile. But no matter how many times I’ve laughed or smiled this feeling in my stomach remained. Something was going to happen, I don’t know when or where but something is going to happen.