Chapter 5: Long Beach.

The bus drive was a bit longer than expected. We had to take a seven hour detour because the road was closed. I don’t mind honestly so instead of getting there at midnight we arrived in Long Beach at seven o’clock this morning. When the sun was rising brightly over the horizon. Connor and I jumped off the bus and walked to the exits. California is bright and sunny. I immediately put my sun glasses on when the sun started to come up.  

It was sad that I had to leave him, but we both have places to go. We’ll never see each other again. It made me sick to my stomach to know that four days ago he was just this geeky ginger kid working at a gas station in Omaha.

Omaha, it seems like a million miles away. Omaha was were everything changed, where this insanity became reality. Where there was no turning back. I hit the point of no return when I was in Omaha.

I stood sadly in a pair of jeans and a tee shirt that had black and blue strips crossing the chest and a light grey hoodie covered my bare arms from the coolness of the air around me. My hair was done and my sun glasses were already on. Connor seemed to be shied away. I sighed heavily and looked up at him.

“Looks like we’re here.” I uttered.

“Yep.” He replied. I shoved my hands in my pockets and stood there.

“This has been fun.” He said softly. I nodded.

“Sure has.” I added.

“Good luck with finding your dad.”

“Thanks good luck with your family.” I said softly. He hugged me close and kissed my cheek before we broke off into separate directions. I needed to find a pay phone and in California that’ll be easier than having a desperate virgin put out. 

I walked quietly through the streets alone. Without Connor here it’s so lonely and I hated it. It reminded me of the night I ran away. I got that feeling back in the pit of my stomach. My stomach lurched as I put my hands in my hoodie pockets to feel something hard. My fingers wrapped around it and pulled out the black device with a set of ear phones wrapped around it. A little note was on it. I smiled and giggled at it.

‘Gives us a reason to meet again. –Connor’

I laughed and turned it on; listening to the music it had to play. I was still in awe that I was within miles of my real dad. My heart thumped wildly in my chest as I approached a pay phone. I hesitated when it came to picking up the receiver. My stomach knotted and fluttered wildly.

This is it. I’m about to find my dad. The man I’ve thought about every day since I was born. I tugged the ear phones out of my ears, wrapping them around the back of my neck. I searched my carrier bag for my camera then pulled it out; in my bag I have note books and normal books. I have medicine; like headache meds and heart meds, I was born with this condition and I need to take meds for it. I had my money in my bag as well. I turned the camera on and sighed.

“This is it. I’m in Long Beach. Huntington Beach is four hours worth of walking away but I’m going to hail a cab. I have the money. I’m about to call the operator for the address. Let’s just set you here.” I said setting the camera down on top of the phone. It was still pointed it at me. I pulled the receiver to my ear and dialled for the operator.

“Hello operator how can I help you?” A lady asked with an auto-tuned voice. I swallowed hard and sighed.

“Yeah can I have the address for a James Owen Sullivan of Huntington Beach, California?” I asked sullenly then waited for her to reply. Her response took what seemed like hours to receive at my end.

“James Owen Sullivan of Huntington Beach, California lives on 3-5-9-0 Dudley road.” She replied softly. I inhaled and exhaled deeply before hanging up. I grabbed my camera and smiled.

“He lives at 3-5-9-0 Dudley road. I’m so excited I finally got an address. I’ll let you know what happens after I get there.” I said then pressed off.

My heart thumped fast and hard against my chest as I walked to a busier area where there were empty cabs to choose from. I went to one and tapped the window with a cheery smile. The man rolled down the window with a friendly smile.

“Can I get a lift?” I asked. The white man nodded. I jumped into the back of the cab and smiled.

“Where to miss?” He asked with a growly voice. I inhaled and exhaled deeply.

“3-5-9- Dudley road, Huntington Beach, please.” I requested and just like that we were on our way to my final destination. This is it. I’m finally going to meet him, my dad. I listened to the music happily as we drove quietly down the busy streets. California was so clean compared to Chicago. Chicago is dirty and crime ridden. I love it there but it never felt like home to me.

It took what seems like hours to get there but when we pulled out front of a nice medium sized house in a suburban area my head came back to reality. A black metal fence lined the yard in. And there was a porch swing hanging outside. The house was two stories tall. It looked really nice. I was almost to scared to touch anything. But I heaved a deep breathe.

“How much do I owe you?” I asked sullenly. The cabbie did the math and turned to me.

“Twenty bucks.” He uttered. I smiled and handed him two tens then got out of the cab. My stomach knotted and twisted and became deformed.

‘This is it Peasnie, four day of travelling and you’re about to meet your dad’ I thought to myself as I waited and pondered outside the fencing. I pulled the ear phones from my ears as I pondered weather or not to do this.

My heart stopped when a man came to the door, it was him. He skipped off the porch and approached me.

“Hey kid, you okay?” He asked. I held my breath. He looked exactly like me and that’s not exaggerating. I swallowed hard and heaved a deep breath again.

“You might be my dad.” I blurred out. His expression went from friendly to serious that broke me slightly.

“Okay kid this isn’t funny. Who are you?” He questioned with a stern voice, it was like cracking a whip.

“My name is Peasnie Ann Sullivan. I’m not joking when I say this but you really might be my dad.” I said sullenly. His face turned serious. I took off my sunglasses and looked at him with squinted eyes.

“You signed my birth certificate.” I added and pulled out the piece of paper. His eyes widened when he saw the writing.

“Holy shit, you’re Rosie’s daughter aren’t you?” Jimmy asked with a slight surprised tone. I bit my lip and nodded. He furrowed his eye brows and looked me over.

“Does she know you’re here?” He questioned me like I was a criminal but I didn’t mind. I was in just as much shock. I sighed heavily, my gazing running to the ground for a second before meeting his gaze.

“She left when I was four.” I said softly. Jimmy opened the gate, looking me over a few times.

“Peasnie, come in. You must be tired and hungry.” He said. I smiled and nodded as I walked into the garden and up the porch steps.

Holy fuck. He is actually a really good guy. He let me into his house. This is amazing. I came all this way and this is much more than what I expected. It’s insane to think that just five days ago I was in Chicago living obliviously about this week’s happenings. I loved this adventure. It’s the best thing that’s ever happened to me.