Chapter 8: A Horrible Past Has A Beautiful Future.

Driving in the car with Jimmy alone was nice. He was really cool and nice. I’m glad he wasn’t like Roger. He cared about me. I wore my hair down with a pair of light wash jeans that were loose on me, a yellow tank top and my grey hoodie. My converse was tied tightly. I kept my gaze outside with little attention to what was happening around me. I was lost in the sky, like I have been for the past few days. I’ve been lost in the sky for far too long and now I’ve found my way back home.

“So what kind of things do you like to do?” He asked softly, keeping his gaze on the road. I glanced over at him with pursed lips. Suddenly I forgot who I was and what I liked but one thing stuck out in my head. The thought made a smile play my face lively.

“I like drumming. I’ve even got a goal for it.” I admitted softly. I saw his face turn into pride and joy. I know he was proud of me for doing this but this was a different kind of pride like he was happy that I was more like him then just in looks.

“What’s you goal?” He asked with a proud filled tone. I blushed and nibbled on the sleeve of my hoodie. I do that when I’m asked what my goals in life are. My goals are stupid but they’re my goals. I smiled and looked at him carefully.

“I want to be the world’s fastest drummer.” He chuckled lively and nodded happily at me.

“Well you’re the daughter of the fastest drummer in America and the UK. So I believe in you.” He said with glee. He gave my dreams some hope. Usually when I tell someone that they just laugh and tell me that’s not a goal but it is. If you’re aimed for something in life then it’s a goal. It doesn’t need to make sense. My stomach sank when the conversation turned serious. The question he asked echoed in my head making me feel hallowed and distant.

“Is Roger still a drunk?”

I swallowed hard and inhaled with a small nod. Jimmy’s smile frowned as he kept sneaking a glance at me. He was sad for me. He knew what Roger was like when he had drinks. It was even worse by that one memory. The one that made reality hit me like a brick wall. I sucked my tongue slightly and looked at Jimmy.

“He chased after me one night.” I uttered softly. Jimmy and I stopped at a red light, his hazel eyes groped me carefully with a worried expression.

“I got home a bit late and he was angry with me, he screamed at me to leave. So I did. But he chased me down the street in his car. I peddled my bike as fast as I could but he got me. I was eight years old.” I admitted sadly.

“I never stepped out of line with him again. Except for this.” I added with a whisper. I went onto tell him about the years of abuse I’ve gotten and how many times I’ve had to stay at a friend’s house while he was in jail. I went into detail with the things Roger has said to me about my mom. He told me it was mistake to love a kid.

Jimmy’s eyes were wide with horror and surprise. He was shocked by what I was saying. He bit his bottom lip and looked in front of him.

“Don’t worry. I’m not gonna be like him but there are going to be rules.” He said softly. I smiled weakly and nodded.

“Like?”

“Like you’re home by ten o’clock. Bed by midnight. You’ll be expected to do chores and shit. And there is one more rule.” He trailed off. I couldn’t help but smile at him widely. This is fucking perfect. He is setting reasonable ground rules that I will obey by.

“And what’s that?” I asked with a hopeful tone. Jimmy laughed and glanced at me with a smirk that I wore as well. I had a feeling on what this rule will be.

“No boys.” Yep, it’s that rule. I knew this was coming. It’s obvious he’s a single dad to a teenage daughter. Yeah so there has got to be a rule on boys. I smiled and laughed at him. I’ve got a trick up my sleeve and this trick is either going to make it or break it. I raised my eye brows happily.

“And what if I’m gay?” I asked catching him off guard. He wore a straight blank expression before looking over to me.

“Are you gay?” He question with an unsure voice. I was snickering at him in my head. I shrugged and made a face.

“I’m opened minded.” I replied with a cheeky smirk. He sighed and rubbed his temples.

“You’re just like your mother.” He said with a light tone.

“What? My mother was a hand full?” I asked. Jimmy nodded and smiled. I guess in more ways than one I’m like my mom. We’re both determined strong ladies who ran away from home at fourteen or fifteen. We both are opened minded people. Jimmy looked at me with a strong sense.

“Your mom didn’t run away from home because of you. She was going to leave anyways. She never knew her dad either. So she went to Chicago to find him.” He said with a strong voice that was stern. My jaw dropped with surprise and my eyes popped out of my head. This was news to me. I never knew this. I guess we are very much a like. This is insane. I sat back in my seat with shock shuttering through my bones. We drove down the busy streets with only the radio playing quietly.

“I guess we all have answers to find.” I said softly. Jimmy nodded.

“We all have some sort of emptiness inside.” He whispered. I nodded in agreement. Amen to that, he was preaching to the choir with that one. I’ve had this emptiness inside for years and I’ve finally found some answers and it’s not gone. I want to know everything.

“Since it’s only March I’m going to go down to the school and register you tomorrow.” He announced happily. I nodded and smirked.

“Welcome to the family kid.” Jimmy said with a strong tone. Family? That’s right I have a proper family now. I may not have a mom but I have a dad and grandparents and possibly aunts and uncles. It’s not just me and Roger any more. I’m apart of something bigger than just me. This is an amazing feeling.