Chapter 34

I awoke with a start to the sound of screaming coming from downstairs. My heart was pounding violently in my ears, blood burning in my veins as I recognized Grey's voice, no- his scream. It rattled my bones, every hair on my skin standing on end as I leaped out of bed, flinging open my door and hurrying down the stairway. As I descended, there were a few more loud bangs of a scuffle, and then silence.

Shit shit shit, I cursed in my head, leaping down the last few stairs and rounding the corner to face the living room. Did more Demons break in? Were they trying to get to me and Grey got them first?

I felt my heart fall through my chest when I looked at the scene before me. The once pristine room was now in complete disarray. The sofa was snapped in half, the glass coffee table completely shattered. The wall behind the sofa had a huge dent in it, like someone had shoved their fist through it. The rustic hardwood floor was covered in black ash and appeared to be singed, like something had exploded on top of it, and the window overlooking the peninsula was obliterated. A cool breeze swept in through the room, chilling me to my core.

Where was Grey?

My head spun around wildly, eyes searching the living room and kitchen for him, but he was nowhere to be found.

I swear I felt my heart stutter at that moment.

I ran outside through the remains of the broken window, shards of glass digging into my feet as I sprinted across it and out onto the grassy peninsula. Frantically, I looked around. His car was still in the driveway, and nothing else on the house appeared to have been impacted. Surely a Demon couldn't have done this to Grey. Grey was- well he seemed relatively invincible. So, where was he?

"Grey?" I called out, my voice raw as if I'd already been screaming his name.

Silence.

No, surely he was around here. Maybe he'd managed to push them back into the forest. Maybe they were in the sky, fighting whoever it was in midair. He'd be back. He'd be okay.

I walked around the side of the house facing the forest, looking for any sign that he could've gone in there, but the grass in front of it was undisturbed. There was no way he could've flown in there given how thick the foliage was. Maybe I was right and he was in the sky, fighting with his wings.

However, when I glanced up at the clear night sky, nothing but the stars stared back.

Where was Grey?

I called out his name again and again til it felt like the shards of glass were in my throat rather than my feet, but he was nowhere to be found. I ran back inside, leaving bloody footprints behind me as I hurried back through the space where the window used to be.

Did somebody manage to take him? How that could even be possible, I had no idea. Grey was absurdly fast and strong. Like he'd mentioned before, even Fallen Angels knew to stay away from him. Maybe he hadn't been taken, maybe he'd taken someone who'd broken in somewhere else. Maybe he'd be back soon with an explanation.

My eyes drifted around the chaotic living room, unsure of what to do. Do I try to clean up the mess before Grey comes home?

That was when my eyes fell on the slip of white paper that sat innocently in the center of the broken sofa, my name sprawled in cursive across the front. Once again, I felt my heart fall down through my chest. Slowly, I made my way over to the note, no longer feeling the shards of glass that still sat embedded in my feet. I bent down, picking up the note and unfolding it.

If you want to see him again, you will pay the price I ask, when I ask it.

I felt my hand cover my mouth, which had fallen open in shock. Grey had been taken. How, I had no idea. But he had been taken to get something from me. He had been taken because of me. Somehow, I'd managed to hurt even the most indestructible person I'd ever met, simply by existing.