Chapter 13

I waited to hit the water.

I closed my eyes tight and waited for that back-breaking sensation I knew would come, but it never did.

My stomach lurched into my throat when I felt two strong arms wrap around me. Arms? Was I dead? There was no way someone was able to jump after me and catch up to me, let alone prevent me from ever hitting the water.

This was it.

I was dead.

Damn, that really sucks, I still had half a container of Ben and Jerry's in the freezer at the sorority house.

I peeked open one eye, preparing for the heavenly/hellish sight I knew I was about to see.

Grey?

Shirtless Grey.

I decided not to dwell on that, because, well, I was dead. There were more important things than shirtless Grey. Though I must admit- shirtless Grey- that was heaven all in itself.

"Grey, what the hell are you doing? I'm dead, you're not allowed to be here!" I fumed and he looked down at me, raising an eyebrow slightly in amusement.

"You're not dead, Greene. Clumsy as hell, but not dead," he sighed, and I couldn't tell if it was in disappointment or relief. Maybe a mixture of the two.

Wait.

If I wasn't dead, then how...?

My eyes drifted up past his face, landing on the large set of dark grey wings jutting out of his shoulder blades, beating down the air below us and pushing us higher.

I was totally dead.

There was no way in hell this was even remotely possible, so did that mean I was in heaven?

"Grey, there's-you have-" I stuttered, my eyes glued to the wings. They were huge. And I mean huge. They looked like avian wings, kind of like an eagle's, but they were grey and probably twice as long as the wingspan of an eagle.

"Wings, I believe is the word you're looking for," he smirked down on me, his cerulean eyes twinkling in amusement. I paled at the realization that he actually did have wings coming out of his back, that I wasn't hallucinating.

But there was no way this could be real. No possible way.

Grey's wings curled slightly inwards and I looked over my shoulder and down at the ground we were rapidly approaching. If I wasn't already dead, well, I was about to be. I closed my eyes tight and prepared for impact- but once again, it never came. I felt Grey's body tense up as his feet hit the ground running, but that was it.

"You can open your eyes now, Greene," Grey chuckled slightly and my eyes flew open, checking to see if his wings were still there. They were. But now, they were curled behind his back instead of extended in a gliding motion. He gently set me down on my feet, his eyes glued to me as I stared at his wings in disbelief. I heard footsteps behind us and spun around to see Riel jogging towards us, his brows creased in concern. Riel looked at me, at Grey, and then back at me.

"Grey, you were not supposed to do that," Riel stormed, his eyes narrowed on Grey. He looked absolutely pissed.

"Well, what would you have me do? Let her die?" Grey scoffed in annoyance and I turned back around to face him. I'm sure my jaw had dropped open in disbelief, and I'm sure I looked like I was in a catatonic state, because, well, I kind of was. I didn't believe my eyes. I couldn't. My mind was whirring at a million miles an hour and I couldn't process anything that was going on.