chapter thirty

CHAPTER THIRTY
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

     A CERTAIN CAGE IN PARTICULAR had caught Clarke's eye, Taylor following her over to where she was now yanking on the metal bars of the cage

A CERTAIN CAGE IN PARTICULAR had caught Clarke's eye, Taylor following her over to where she was now yanking on the metal bars of the cage. Inside of it sat Anya, looking worn down and exhausted.

"We're gonna get you out of here," Clarke promised quickly, dashing off to the front of where the rows of cages began. Taylor stood beside Anya's cage in an utter daze, wondering if that is what they had eventually planned to do to her and her friends.

Clarke returned with a metal bar and pried at the lock of the cage, it popping off and rolling to the floor with a clatter. The other Grounders began to take notice of their efforts, and started to reach out of their cages and mumble incoherently. The cage creaked open and Clarke started to help Anya out, but their plans were quickly faltered by the arrival of one of the head doctors.

Taylor's eyes widened and saw Clarke helping Anya back into her cage while also trying to climb in herself. There would be no room for the three of them. Instinctually, she bolted down the rows until she finally hit a corner and turned, hiding herself in an inconspicuous group of cages.

The Grounders around her groaned and noticed her presence just like the other ones did, looking malnutritioned and skeletal, reaching out for help. It made her sick to her stomach being unable to help them.

The closing of the door echoed throughout the chamber, letting her know that the coast was clear. She jogged back to where she had left Clarke and Anya, finding them already out of the cage and struggling forward.

Taylor silently took Anya's other arm and she and Clarke aided her over to a door that marked the end of containment, signalling that suits were needed past that point. Heaving open the door, the trio stepped into a small, square room with a large hatch covering most of the floor.

The door that they had just walked through suddenly sealed shut and an alarm, just like the one when they had originally tried to escape, sounded in their ears. Clarke immediately tried to pry the doors back open and stepped back when she couldn't.

Taylor and Anya glanced at each other in confusion, Anya asking, "What is that?"

Neither party was able to respond before the floor below them gave out with the hatch opening out from under them. Screams were let out from each one of them, Taylor too shocked when she hit a cold metal slide to keep shouting.

The impact of whatever they hit hurt, and when she finally sat up and looked around, she had to cover her mouth to keep the scream from echoing down the mining tunnel they had ended up in.

Gritting her teeth, Taylor immediately grabbed onto the edge of the cart and heaved herself out, wanting nothing more than to be away from the dead bodies that she had just landed on. They had an entire chute dedicated to the disposal of people. Those they had used and thrown away like garbage. It was getting more challenging for her to swallow the bile that rose in her throat threateningly.