chapter nine

CHAPTER NINE
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

     SHE STOOD ON THE BANK OF THE RIVER as Clarke, Finn, Raven, and plenty of people from camp searched for the radio within its depths

"What were you talking about earlier?" Bellamy asked quietly, clearly wanting to keep the conversation private. "About sacrifices."

"It was nothing. And it doesn't matter now," she replied quickly. It was true. She didn't want to tell him what she had done because it wasn't something she was particularly proud of. But then guilt bubbled up inside of her when she thought of how he had told her about shooting Chancellor Jaha almost immediately.

She stared down at the ground, the shouts and splashes of water becoming distant sounds in her now clouded mind.

__________

one year ago
october 4, 2148

Her hands shook as reality crashed down upon her small form. It was real. All of it was happening and she couldn't do anything to stop it.

Her father had been floated. Her face felt utterly raw from all of the crying she had been doing. She had no clue where her mother even was. The last time Taylor had seen her, she had been more numb that she had ever witnessed.

Bellamy's mother was gone too, and he was distancing himself. He hadn't talked to her in what felt like forever.

Octavia had just been put in the Skybox and now Taylor was afraid that they were next. That the Council would come after all of them for being connected to the crime. But she didn't want that to happen, she wouldn't let it.

She stood up, her legs shaking as she wiped the tears from her eyes and attempted to compose herself.

She left her room and hurried out of the flat and into the halls of the Ark. It didn't take her long to hurry all the way to where she could locate some kind of council member.

She reached the doors of the council room and stopped dead in her tracks when she was able to hear a heated discussion through the slightly cracked door.

"We can't just let them all walk free," someone argued. "The longer this takes, the longer they think that they're going to get away with this."

"What are you talking about? 'Get away with it'? Have you seen them? Their lives are ruined as it is," someone else fired back with sympathy lacing their voice.

"No, there has to be some kind of punishment. And this will benefit us to do it," a third voice chimed in. And she couldn't listen any longer. She rounded the corner and sunk to the floor, tears filling her eyes again. This wasn't fair. There was no way she could convince anyone to drop any charges.