chapter eight

CHAPTER EIGHT
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

     THE LOUD CRASH INTERRUPTED HER FITFUL SLEEP and the exclamations from people outside of the tent made it difficult to try and resume her state of rest

THE LOUD CRASH INTERRUPTED HER FITFUL SLEEP and the exclamations from people outside of the tent made it difficult to try and resume her state of rest. She knew the chances were that she wouldn't be able to get much sleep that night, not after what happened.

Her heavily lidded eyes scanned the tent and did not find Octavia, the very person who she was sharing it with. She laid on the ground for a few more moments, hoping all of the commotion would die down in a few minutes. Taylor flexed her hand, the ache still there from when she had hit Murphy. He was gone, but she felt like the pain in her knuckles and stain of his blood on her hands had sunk much deeper than just her skin, a feeling resonating deep in her bones. The dull soreness in her head where Murphy had hit her wasn't bad anymore, so she concluded that she didn't have any serious head injury.

The shouts had not subsided in the few minutes she lingered in the tent. She pushed herself up and begrudgingly made her way out through the exit. People were scurrying around and looking up at the sky curiously. Some looked angry and others looked utterly elated.

The dark black canvas of the sky was painted with smoke, her eyebrows furrowing at the sight. She approached the people nearest to her, her eyes not leaving the sky. "What's happening?" she questioned the two girls, whose names she recalled to be Harper and Monroe.

"A pod fell from the sky," Harper answered as Monroe nodded along with her. Taylor's eyes widened slightly, her stomach becoming slightly uneasy.

"Thanks," she said, ending the conversation there. She took careful steps back to her tent, trying to calm the worried thoughts that crashed around in her head. Quickly grabbing her jacket and finding Bellamy's tent, she steadied her breaths and assured herself that she and Bellamy would face no repercussions from this pod.

When she jerked open the flap to the tent she was given a welcome that was far from warm. "Are you kidding me?" a girl's voice spat annoyedly. Taylor rolled her eyes when she saw that Bellamy was not present in his own tent, the only two people there being two half-dressed girls.

"Where's Bellamy?" she asked quick and to the point, hoping to spend the smallest amount of time there she possibly could manage. The one who had spoken earlier scoffed while the other one answered indifferently.

"He left a little while ago," she said, Taylor nodding at her appreciatively. She left the tent and made a beeline for the weapons table. Nothing about the situation screamed good. Taylor knew exactly why Bellamy had left. It was the same reason why he wanted everyone to take off their wristbands.

She selected a small knife and tucked it into the pocket of her jacket. Looking up at the sky and the fading smoke that streaked across it, she found the direction that the pod had most likely landed in. The direction that Bellamy would be headed in.