chapter twenty-two

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

     BY THE TIME THE MORNING SUN had risen above the trees and illuminated their work with natural, glowing light, Taylor had realized just how little she had slept within the previous few days

BY THE TIME THE MORNING SUN had risen above the trees and illuminated their work with natural, glowing light, Taylor had realized just how little she had slept within the previous few days. She called someone over and handed them her shovel, resolving to take a nap when the sunrise had occurred.

When she arrived near the epicenter of their camp, the dropship, she was presented with something that was the complete opposite of what could be a nap. Bellamy stood in front of the dropship pacing with his radio gripped firmly in his hand, the other resting comfortably against the ax notched in his belt. What was mostly utterly odd about it was that the door of the ship was closed in front of him.

"What's going on?" she questioned when she finally made it to where he was walking around, his anxious energy practically tangible.

"Murphy," he grumbled, looking at the closed doors seethingly. Taylor understood immediately, knowing she hadn't been exactly wrong about her feelings regarding letting Murphy back into camp. The look on her face had been taken over by a far angrier one as well upon hearing the news. "He's got Jasper in there with a gun. Killed Myles."

Her heart sank at his words. Myles, in the very short time that she knew him, had appeared to be nice and innocent. Jasper was in danger and it was looking like it was going to be very difficult to get him out of it. Not only that, but what would happen to Murphy now crossed her mind for a brief moment.

Before she was even able to get another word out, Octavia came sprinting up to them, her face contorted with panic. "I just heard Murphy has Jasper," she puffed out worriedly.

"Yeah," he confirmed in short tone and a curt nod. "South foxhole done?"

"What? Bellamy, my friend's in there with a killer!" Octavia snapped, gesturing to the ship in front of them.

"O, look around, no one's working. If the Grounders attack now, we're all dead," Bellamy explained in the same official voice he used when talking about the affairs of the camp. Octavia wasted no hesitation in pushing past him.

"Don't worry, some are. I was just supervising the east foxhole and Miller was supervising the north. They're going to get done," she assured just before Octavia's yells drowned both of their significantly quieter voices out.

"Murphy! Murphy, if you even touch Jasper, I swear to God, you're dead!" she screamed at the closed door.

"Octavia!" Bellamy interrupted, shouting over her. "Octavia, I got this." She scoffed and shook her head, glancing at the door once more before rounding on him again.

"Really? Because it doesn't look like you're doing anything about it," she retorted. Taylor swore that her head started to hurt over the sounds of them screaming at each other. At that moment, Raven walked up from the rear of the ship and stopped between Taylor and Bellamy.