Chapter Thirty-Five

We all had huddled against a cab and Romanoff and I had kept watched for any aliens that tried to come at us. Steve was doing his usual Captain thing, bossing everyone around. I still think he doesn't have a say, since he never really earned the title, 'Captain'. "We've got civilians still trapped up here." Barton said, just as a pack of aliens flew over our heads, shooting at the civilians below us.

"Loki," I growled. 

"They're fish in a barrel down there." Steve said just as an alien fired at us. Romanoff and I quickly shot at the aliens, and I luckily got one on the head. I then crouched down and I reloaded one of my guns. 

"We got this. It's good. Go." Romanoff told us.

"Do you think you can hold them off?" Steve asked Barton. He looked back at us. 

"Captain, it would be my genuine pleasure," Barton said as he pulled a bow from his quiver and then shot it at an alien. Steve nudged me to get up and I looked at Barton before leaving. 

"Technically, he's not a Captain. He never even earned a title." I corrected him. Steve pulled me away and we both jumped over a railing, and rolled onto a bus. As we ran on it, we were being fired at and as we came to the end, we jumped onto a truck on the ground, only to have it explode under us, sending us a few extra feet ahead. 

"Was it really important to correct Barton?" Steve asked as we ran through the streets, dodging the blasts. 

"Yes!" I yelled as I hopped over a car. As we ran, the blasts were zipping past us, nearly getting us but we were quick enough to miss them. I couldn't help but smile slightly. "It's just like Hydra. Only, the enemy are aliens and not fearless men in suits." I chuckled lightly. "But slightly more creepy than Hydra soldiers."

"I think I prefer Hydra." He answered honestly. I smiled slightly, but it quickly disappeared when I was nearly hit by a blast. We continued running until we came to a police barricade and we hopped onto the top of the car.

"You need men in these buildings," I said as I pointed to the buildings around us. "There are people inside and they're going to be running right into the line of fire." 

"You take them to the basements or through the subway. You keep them off the streets." Steve added. "We need a perimeter as far back as 39th." 

"Why the hell should I take orders from you two?" A policeman said. There was a blast behind us, and Steve and I turned to see aliens coming at us. Steve hit a couple with his shield and I did a mix of punching and kicking and shooting at close range. When there was one left, I kicked the alien where it really hurts and as it was crouched down, Steve hit it with his shield, causing it to fall over. 

The police officer then began giving the orders of which we just told him. I looked at Steve and smiled slightly. "You seem a little rusty. Maybe being frozen made you a little weaker?" I teased.

"You should be more focused on the mission at hand instead of cracking jokes," he sternly said. I smiled slightly as I watched him hop off the car. I followed after him. 

"Well, you still continue to act as a captain, Captain," I said with a small smirk. I saw the corner of his lips curve up into a smile. We rushed back to the location of Romanoff and Barton, fighting off whatever aliens came our way. As we made it back to the bridge, we were shortly joined by Thor after he less than gracefully landed into a car. 

"I have unfinished business with Loki." Thor said. 

"Yeah? Well get in line." Barton said. 

"Save it," Steve began as he walked towards Barton, "Loki's going to keep this fight focused on us, and that's what we need. Without him, these things could run wild."

"We got Stark up top. He's going to need us to..." I trailed as I heard a faint sound of an engine going from behind Steve and I. I turned to see Bruce riding on a motorcycle, slowing making his way towards us. Once he stopped, we all walked towards him and I must admit, I'm happy to see him as his normal self and not smashing everything in his path.

"So, this all seems horrible." He said. 

"I've seen worse." Romanoff added.

"Sorry." He apologized.

"No, we could use a little worse." 

"Stark, we got him," Steve said into his headset. "Just like you said." He added. A few moments later, I see Tony flying in his Iron Man suit and right behind him is that giant thing we saw come from the portal in the sky. It crashed through a building as it followed him, and made it's way towards us.

"I don't see how that's a party." Romanoff commented. 

"Definitely not." I said to myself. Bruce slowly took some steps in the direction of the mechanical worm-thing as Steve called to him.

"Dr. Banner. Now might be a really good time for you to get angry." Steve suggested. Bruce looked back at Steve and smiled slightly. 

"That's my secret, Captain. I'm always angry." He finished as he turned to the creature, quickly turning into his Hulk form and easily slamming the creatures head into the ground, causing his rear to rise over us. Tony shot at the center, causing it to explode, and Steve quickly hid me under his shield as I scurried into his chest for protection.

"Not so much of a dumb shield, huh?" He asked through a cocky smile. I chuckled lightly. 

"It still is," I said through a smirk. Once the debris cleared, we all stood together as we looked at the aliens that were resting on the buildings, who seemed less than pleased with the destruction of one of their own.

"Guys," Romanoff called to us. I looked into the sky to see more aliens coming through the portal. 

"Call it, Lieutenant." Tony said. A small smirk formed on my face as I turned to face everyone. 

"Alright, listen up. Until we can close that portal, our priority is containment. Barton, I want you on that roof. Eyes on everything. Call out patterns and strays." I ordered. 

"Stark, you got the perimeter. Anything gets more than three blocks out, you turn it back or you turn it to ash." Steve added. 

"Can you give me a lift?" Barton asked Tony. 

"Right," Tony walked to his side, "better clench up, Legolas," he finished as he grabbed Barton's shirt and flew into the sky.

"Thor, you got to try and bottleneck that portal. Slow them down. You got the lightening, light the bastards up." I ordered. Thor started swinging his hammer and flew into the sky.

"The three of us, we stay here on the ground. We keep fighting here," Steve looked at Bruce, or Hulk in this matter, "and Hulk," Steve called. He snarled as he looked at Steve. "Smash." I saw a grin flash on his face before he leapt onto a building, smashing a few aliens that were near him. 

I looked over at Steve and smiled slightly. "You stole my moment. Couldn't help yourself, could ya?" I asked. He cockily smirked and readied his shield. 

"Of course not. I'm the Captain after all," he smirked.