Chapter Fifteen

I had gotten word of returning to the office, and I was looking for him. Since he was supposed to be heading to Howard, my guess is that he's near the lab. As I was looking for him, I turned a corner to see Steve kissing a woman, who was slowly raising her arms to wrap around his neck. I felt a pang of jealousy, and hurt at the same time. 

"Captain!" I yelled, causing the two of them to be startled. Steve looked at me, as he started to wipe his lips. "We're ready for you, if you're not otherwise occupied," I told him before I started to storm off. 

"Danielle, wait,"Steve called as he rushed to my side. I scoffed.

"Looks like finding a partner wasn't that hard after all," I said, slightly annoyed. I was hurt more than anything. Here I am, having feelings for him, and then to see him with his hands all over another woman, makes my blood boil. 

"Hey, that's not what you thought it was," He tried to justify his actions as he fixed his tie. 

"I don't think anything, Steve. Always wanted to be a soldier, and now you are one. Just like the rest," I said flatly. 

"Well what about you and Stark? How do I know you two haven't been...fondue-ing?' He asked. I stopped and turned to look at him. I couldn't even think of a response to his words. I sighed and turned to walk into the lab. 

"You still don't know a damn thing about women," I said as I walked away. 

* * * *

I was walking with Peggy, after we went over some plans on how to attack the weapon factories that belong to Hydra. Although, that didn't help with the jealousy that roamed my body after seeing Steve with another woman. "Are you alright, Danielle? You're awfully quiet." She pointed out. I nodded my head. 

"Fine. Perfect, actually." I lied. Peggy shot me a look and I knew she didn't believe me. 

"You can tell me anything, Danielle". She said. I must admit, I've never told anyone about my feelings for Steve. I usually tell Peggy everything, but this was a very sensitive topic for me, and I don't know what she could say. I haven't even wrote my mother since before the Super Soldier project last year. 

"I'm just a bit flustered with someone, that's all." I told her. She raised an eyebrow slightly. 

"Is it Steve?" She asked. My eyes widened slightly. 

"How did you-" She cut me off. 

"I've noticed for a while. How you act when you're around him. Especially in Italy, when I saw you resting on his shoulder. I knew then, that something was happening between the two of you." She pointed out. I quickly shook my head. 

"Nothing is happening...sadly," I muttered the last part to myself. "It's just...I feel as if I'm dealing with unrequited love, and it's torturous. I feel as if I'm the only one feeling this way about him and I'm nothing but a friend to him," I told her, sadden by the thought. 

"I'm sure he does. He's probably just blinded by the fame of being Captain America. Just give it time. I'm sure he'll come to you. And if he doesn't, I'll make him," she said, half jokingly. I smiled slightly. Leave it to Peggy to put a smile on my face, when I'm feeling down. As Peggy and I walked into the lab, I saw Steve holding a round shield. 

"Are you quite finished, Mr. Stark?" Peggy asked. 

"I'm sure the Captain has some unfinished business," I said referring to earlier's incident. Steve turns, and faces Peggy and I as he holds the shield up. 

"What do you think?" He asked me as he struck a pose. I grab a gun from the nearby table, and shoot four bullets into the shield, causing Steve to hide behind it, and Howard hid behind a table. Steve peaked from the shield, looking at me worriedly. 

"Yes, I think it works," I said with a smile. I walked to Howard, as he stood up, and handed him a piece of paper. "I had some ideas about my uniform," I told him. He nodded his head, and nervously smiled. 

"I'll work on it, right away." He assured me. I smiled, and looked at Steve, who had somewhat of a scared look on his face. I then walked away from the two of them, and left the lab.