Chapter Seven

Peggy, Steve, and I were sitting in a car, on our way to the lab. Today was the day, Steve and I were going to be injected with the serum. I was a bit worried on the inside, but on the outside, I tried to remain calm as best as I could. I was staring out the window, looking at the the neighborhood that we were passing through.

"I know this neighborhood," Steve said. I gazed over at him. "I got beat up in that alley...and that parking lot...and behind that diner," he listed as he pointed out the window.

"Did you have something against running away?" I asked him.

"You start running, they'll never let you stop. You stand up, push back. You can't say no forever, right?" He asked. I smiled to myself.

"I know a little of what that's like. To have every door shut in your face." I told him.

"I guess, I don't fully understand why you would join the army. You're a beautiful Dame. Beautiful- oh, uh woman," He stuttered. I looked at him, slightly confused. "I mean...a lieutenant, not a Dame. Y-You are beautiful, but..." He trailed off. I felt my cheeks start to heat up, and I slightly became embarrassed.

"You have no idea how to talk to a woman, do you?" Peggy asked, as she looked back at Steve and I. I gave Peggy a look, and she slightly smiled as she turned around in her seat.

"I think, this is the longest conversation I've had with one." He chuckled slightly. "They're not exactly lining up to dance with a guy that might step on them," he added as he fiddled with his fingers.

"You must have danced?" I asked, a brow raising slightly.

"Well, asking a woman to dance always seems so terrifying. And the past few years just...didn't seem to matter that much. Figured I'd wait," he explained.

"For what?"

"The right partner," he simply stated. I smiled and looked back out the window. The car slowed down, and pulled up to the curb. We all stepped out of the car, and walked toward an antique shop.

"This way," Peggy directed Steve and I.

"What are we doing here?" Steve asked.

"Follow me," was all she said. We followed her into the antique shop, and I was slightly confused. An elderly woman walked from the back of the shop, and gave us a warm smile.

"Wonderful weather this morning, isn't it?" The woman asked us.

"Yes, but I always carry an umbrella," Peggy replied. She walked behind the counter, and stood there with a smile on her face. I heard a light beep, and Peggy began to walk to the backroom. Steve and I followed her, and we came to a bookcase. After a few seconds, the bookcase opened, to reveal a long, empty hallway, with a few workmen and women. As we walked down the hallway, we came to steel doors, that suddenly opened, and as we walked through them, it revealed the lab. There were scientists working away, and I noticed two giant machines. My guess was that those were the machines Steve and I had to get into.