Chapter Thirty

After Steve and I finished talking, we decided to go check on Tony and Bruce's progress on the scepter. As we walked through the hallway, we came towards the lab door and I saw Tony shock Bruce with something. "Hey! Are you nuts?" Steve yelled to Tony as we walked into the lab. 

"Jury's out," Tony said to us. "You really have got a lid on it, haven't you? What's your secret? Mellow jazz, bongo drums, huge bag of weed?" He asked Bruce. 

"Is everything a joke to you?" I asked Tony.

"Funny things are." He said as he pointed a stick towards Steve and I.

"Threatening the safety of everyone on this ship, isn't funny," Steve said flatly. "No offense, Doc." He apologized.

"It's all right, I wouldn't have come aboard if I couldn't handle pointy things." He said as he gazed over at Tony. 

"You're tip-toeing, big man." Tony said as he walked away from Bruce. "You need to strut," he added. 

"And you need to focus on the problem, Mr. Stark." I said, slightly raising my voice. 

"Do you think I'm not? Why did Fury call us in? Why not? Why not before? What isn't he telling us? I can't do the equation unless I have all of the variables," he said as he opened a small bag.

"You think Fury's hiding something?" Steve asked. 

"He's a spy. Captain, he's 'the' spy. His secrets have secrets." He said as he popped blueberries into his mouth. "It's bugging him, too. Isn't it?" He said as he motioned towards Bruce. 

"Uh..." Bruce trailed. He shook his head. "I just want to finish my work here, and..." He trailed. 

"Doctor?" I asked him. He looked at Tony and sighed. 

"A warm light for all mankind," Bruce said as he took off his glasses. "Loki's jab at Fury about the cube." He began.

"We heard it," Steve noted.

"Well, I think that was meant for you," he said as he pointed to Tony.Tony then held out his bag of blueberries and Bruce began digging through the bag. "Even if Barton didn't tell Loki about the tower, it was still all over the news" He finished

"The Stark Tower?" I asked. 

That big, ugly-" Steve stopped when Tony shot him a look of annoyance. "-Building in New York?" He asked. I tried to hold back a snicker at his words. 

"It's powered by an arc reactor, a self-sustaining energy source. That building will run itself for what, a year?" Bruce asked Tony. 

"It's just a prototype. I'm kind of the only name in clean energy right now. That's what he's getting at." He replied. 

"So, why didn't S.H.I.E.L.D. bring him in on the Tesseract project? I mean, what are they doing in the energy business in the first place?" Bruce asked. 

"I should probably look into that once my decryption program finished breaking into all of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s secure files." Tony said as he took out a small tablet out of his pocket. 

"I'm sorry. Did you say-" Steve was cut off. 

"JARVIS has been running it since I hit the bridge. In a few hours, I'll know every dirty secret S.H.I.E.L.D. has ever tried to hide. Blueberry?" He offered Steve and I. 

"Yet you're confused about why they didn't want you around." I said flatly. 

"An intelligence organization that fears intelligence? Historically, not awesome." Tony said as he gave off a look of annoyance. 

"I think Loki's trying to wind us up." I said. 

"This is a man who means to start a war, and if we don't stay focused, he'll succeed. We have orders." Steve said. 

"We should follow them." I added. 

"Following's not really my style," Tony said as he popped more blueberries into his mouth. Steve slowly nodded his head. 

"And you're all about style, aren't you?" He asked with a hint of sarcasm.

"Of the people in this room, which ones are, A, wearing a spangly outfit, and B, not of use?" Tony insulted. I laughed humorlessly, trying to avoid wanting to hurt Tony then and there. I have a very high level for tolerance, but he's nearly at the peak of it. 

"Steve and Danielle, tell me none of this smells a little to you two?" Bruce asked. I looked at Steve and he began walking out the lab. 

"Just find the cube." He ordered as he left. I glared at Tony before following after Steve. We left the lab, and Steve came to a halt. He then turned around and began walking towards a door with a guard watching it. 

"Are you doing what I think you're doing?" I asked him. 

"Do you have to ask?" He asked. I nodded my head. We came to the door and the guard looked at us. 

"You're not authorized to-" He was cut off by Steve knocking him out. I then opened the door and Steve brought the man into the room. We walked down the dimly lit hallway until we came to a storage room. We then began to push the door open and after a minute or so, we succeeded. We walked into the storage room and looked around, curious to what S.H.I.E.L.D. was hiding. 

"Up here." Steve said as he hopped onto a box and then leaped to a railing above him. I followed and we walked onto the walkway. We looked around the room until something caught my eye. I walked to a box labeled, PHASE 2, and when I opened it, I saw a strange gun. 

"Steve, you might want to see this," I called to him. He then came to my side and he looked at the gun, his brows furrowed in confusion. I saw a file and grabbed it. I started to study it and my mouth slightly dropped. This shows that the world hasn't changed...not one bit.