Chapter Twenty-Three

I was getting ready to visit my mother for the third time this week. She would tell me stories about her childhood and how life was after the war. She told me about how everyone loved it when television first came to America, and everyone's reactions to other inventions. She was nice enough to give me a little history lesson the last time I visited her. 

I grabbed my bag, and as soon as I opened the door, I saw Director Fury standing in the hallway. "Director Fury, what are you doing here?" I asked him. He had this serious look on his face, which only worried me. 

"We found Captain Rogers," he told me. My eyes widened as I dropped my bag on the floor. 

"What?" I asked, stunned by the news. 

"We found him two days after you woke up. He's been sleeping since and we think you should be the one to break the news to him." He told me.

"Can we leave now?" I asked him. He nodded his head, and began down the stairs of my complex. I locked my door and followed him out the building to the S.H.I.E.L.D. issued truck. I can't believe I'm going to be able to see him after all this time. I can finally tell him how I feel about him, how much he means to me. As we neared the facility, I heard someone's voice on the radio. 

"All agents, Code 13. I repeat, Code 13." I heard the person say. The driver sped up and I knew what was happening. I haven't heard a Code 13 since the day I tried to fled the building when I woke up. The driver zipped past traffic and as we came down a rode, I saw Steve. The driver came to a halt and I saw more S.H.I.E.L.D. trucks create a barricade to block Steve from escaping. I was about to get out, but Director Fury stopped me. 

"Not yet." He told me. I gave him a strange look, but nodded my head. I watched as he got out the truck and walked to Steve, and began to speak to him. Once Director Fury finished, he signaled for me to join him. I took a deep breath and got out the truck. As I began walking, I called to Steve. 

"Steve," I called to him. He looked my direction and I noticed his eyes widen slightly. 

"Danielle..." He said sounding shocked. I smiled and I rushed up to him, jumping into his arms. As I hugged him, I felt my eyes start to tear up. I was so happy to see him. I felt Steve's grip on me tighten. I wanted this for years. I wanted to be in his arms, have him show this type of affection towards me. I looked Steve in his blue eyes and smiled. 

"I love you, Steve." I told him. He smiled and I hugged him tighter. As we hugged, I heard Director Fury clear his throat. I pulled away from Steve and I stood next to him, as Director Fury came up to us, and held a briefcase to Steve.

"You'll be needing this, Captain." He told him. Steve took the briefcase. "I'm sure Lt. Thomson will update you on everything." I nodded my head. Director Fury then left Steve and I.

* * * *

Awhile ago, I had bought him clothes in case they found him. I walked to my living room, to see Steve holding a picture of my parents and I.

"Is this you?" Steve asked as he pointed to the twelve year old me. I had little pigtails and wore a checkered dress. My mother loved that dress. 

"Yes. I was twelve in that picture." I told him. He smiled as he looked back at the picture. 

"You were cute then...what happened?" He asked. My mouth slightly dropped as I let out a laugh.

"Am I not cute now?" I asked him. He put the picture down and walked to me, breaking any distance we had between us. He shook his head. 

"You're beautiful now." He said with a smile. I slightly bit my lip as I smiled. He started to lean closer to me, but I brought the clothes to his face. He chuckled nervously as he took the clothes. He walked to my bedroom and shut the door. 

"I hope they're the right size," I called to him. I smiled to myself as I sat at on my couch. After a while, Steve walked out the room wearing the clothes I gave him. It was a simple white button up shirt, a brown leather jacket, and dark brown pants. He looked at me, with a curious look. 

"Are we going somewhere?" He asked me. I smiled and nodded my head. 

"I have someone who wants to meet you. Someone...very important." I explained. I got up and as I walked past him, he wrapped his arms around my torso and pulled me into his chest.

"I've been wanting to hold you like this," he murmured. I smiled and turned to have myself facing him. I looked up into his eyes and he looked into mine. 

"I've been waiting for you to do so." I said. He smiled. 

"I love you, Danielle," he said softly. I started to raise myself up toward his lips. 

"I love you too, Steve". I felt his lips lightly graze mine. As I pressed my lips to his, I could feel the softness of his lips. Our lips moved in sync, slowly, passionately. It felt as if it was only Steve and I in the world. He made my heart flutter, my legs weak, and he made me feel loved. He tried to deepen the kiss, but I pulled away. "We should get going," I whispered against his lips. He looked a little disappointed, but nodded his head. We walked out my apartment, hand in hand, and made our way to Marydale's Institution to visit my mother. I want her to be able to meet Steve at least once.