chapter twenty one

• Dedicated to All my wonderful readers

Ronald leaps out of the small wooden boat he snagged from the port. The second his feet hit the deck, he breaks into a sprint; the sounds of a fight rings in the air; metal against metal, grunts and heavy footsteps. With each step, his heart thuds heavily in his ears.

Then he sees them.

Sebastian is engaged in a battle with a dark haired man, knives flashing, teeth bared. Wrinkling his nose in disgust, Ronald notices that the man is also a demon. He stands there, captivated by the battle.

"Allow me to relieve you of your pain." Ronald's vibrant green eyes gaze past the two demons, and his body goes numb; a man with silver hair and empty black eyes lifts a blood-stained blade and rests the tip over Amber's heart.

"Amber!" Ronald dashes to the duo as the man drives the knife into Amber's chest. Growling angrily, Ronald shoves the man aside, gagging at the stench of the fallen angel; he smells of heaven yet for some reason he reeks of hell, "Amber..." He takes her limp body in his arms, pulling her onto his lap. Her eyes are open with crystal tears filling them to the brim, "Don't cry Amber." Ronald whispers, pulling her to his chest. His voice cracks as he rests his chin on her soft blonde hair, "It'll be okay." The sounds of the battle rage on behind them, and Ronald squeezes his eyes shut; this can't be happening, this can't be happening...Amber's fingers reach for his and they lock. With a jolt of surprise, Ronald notices how cold she is. Her crimson blood seeps through her dress forming an ugly red stain. Ronald can feel the viscous red substance clinging to his sleeves and seeping through his fingers. Amber's grip on him loosens and Ronald can feel snow forming in his veins as his mind processes what his heart refuses to believe:

She's dead.

The deck shudders and the boat lurches; Ronald skids across the wet floor with Amber's body in his arms. There is yelling and screaming and a hand grabs onto his arm, pulling him to his feet. His little mouse leaps off his shoulder and onto the deck, vanishing from sight.

"Sir, I am afraid that the boat is sinking and our enemies have fled." Sebastian says calmly, his face masked with dark blood and sweat. The demon's ruby eyes land on Amber and his lips form a thin white line, "Oh dear, that's not good. My Lord will be very angry." Ronald's grip on Amber's limp form tightens as the reaper stares at the demon, fire burning in his green eyes.

"Is that all you honestly care about?" Ronald snaps, feeling the deck slant beneath his feet, "Your little pirate boy and his little orders?" Sebastian gives Ronald a disapproving glare.

"My Lord wishes for me to retrieve Lady Amber and it is my duty as a Phantomhive butler to do so." Sebastian reaches for Amber's body and Ronald twists his body, concealing her from the demon's eyes. A sigh escapes Sebastian's lips as he lifts a hand to his temple, "You are only making my job complicated. If you wish to join Lady Amber, allow me to assist you." Sebastian's hand flies to the reaper and Ronald falls off the deck and into the frigid waters, his arms locked around Amber, "Do not take long," Sebastian's voice says as water goes up Ronald's nose, "I will need the body back."

White.

Everything is white.

Ronald blinks his eyes, surprised to be breathing air instead of choking on water. His limbs feel heavy and his arms are empty.

"Amber?" His voice rings through the nothingness. He is alone.

"Do not worry dear reaper." A sweet melodic voice sings, weaving through the air, "She is safe."

"Dead." Ronald says bitterly, "She's dead and I might as well just die."

"Oh?" The voice asks and Ronald's eyes scan the nothingness from behind his glasses, "You love her that much?"

"Of course I Love her!" Ronald frowns, "Who are you? Where are you?" The voice laughs; a sound much like tiny bells.

"What if I were to tell you that you can save her?" The voice inquires and Ronald can feel his heart thud against his rib cage.

"Are you kidding me? No one but God can bring the dead back t-oh..." Ronald's voice trails away, "Is this heaven 'cause if it is, it looks a bit empty." The voice laughs once more and Ronald can feel the air vibrate and buzz with energy.

"No this is not My Kingdom; it is not your time young reaper. But it is also not Amber's time either."

"So Amber can live?" There is a brief silence and Ronald can hear his pulsing heart and his short breaths.

"Yes. And she will regain her sight." The voice replies, "However, in order for that to happen, she will have to forget you. Do you wish for that or do you wish for her death?"

"I can't let her die..." Ronald whispers, feeling his heart shatter. He raises his head and stares into the whiteness, "Let her live!" There is a blinding flash of light and Ronald shuts his eyes, feeling wind whip around him. Water swallows him up and he can feel Amber's body in his arms. His eyes fly open and they are instantly hit with icy water. Shutting them once more he kicks his feet, feeling his body shoot upwards, his lungs burning. He breaks the surface and swallows cool air through rapid gasps. Treading the water he turns his gaze to Amber, smiling sadly when he sees her shoulders rise and fall slowly. Her fingers are clenching his shirt, all the blood gone without even the faintest scar on her neck. From the corner of his eyes, he can see the little boat he stole earlier. With a grunt, he swims toward it, keeping Amber's head above the water. The current is strong, fighting against Ronald. Gritting his teeth, the blonde reaper pushes himself to move against the raging waters, reaching the boat just as a wave roars over them. For a long second, Ronald's head is under the water and he swallows the cold liquid, feeling it burn his throat. He pulls himself to the surface, coughing and weezing as the waves battle around them. Ronald grips onto the boat with one hand, feeling pinpricks of pain as little splinters cut into his skin; they burn from the salty mist. He tosses Amber into the boat, climbing in after her and collapsing onto the damp floor. The larger boat is gone; so the demon wasn't lying when he said that the boat was sinking. Something grey scrambles onto Amber's chest and squeaks.

"You are one amazing mouse." Ronald says, taking the little creature in his hands.

"Pardon me but I shall be taking Lady Amber now." Ronald leaps to his feet, turning to the demon standing behind him.

"How? But you...when? Huh?" Sebastian chuckles and Ronald flushes angrily. How dare this demon laugh at him at a time like this? Sebastian leans over and gather's Amber's sleeping form in his arms and Ronald doesn't move to stop him; she doesn't remember him...Sebastian turns to leave, "Wait!" Ronald exclaims, reaching for the demon. Sebastian turns to Amber, his brows raised, "At least let me say goodbye."

"Very well then." Sebastian says with exasperation. He hands Amber to Ronald and turns his back to the two, "But make it quick." Ronald nods slowly, his eyes locked onto Amber's pale face. His chest aches and tears well up in his eyes.

"I love you Amber." He whispers, "You may not remember me but I will always love you." Dropping his eyelids shut, Ronald leans forward and kisses Amber's forehead, "And don't worry Amber. We will meet again and you will finally be able to see the world." Amber shifts in his arms and Ronald allows his tears to fall.

"I will always love you Amber..."

THE STORY IS NOT DONE!!!! DO NOT FREAK OUT!!!! REMEMBER: RAMBER FOREVER!!!!!!!! 

This is not the end of Ramber...

I cried so badly writing this T.T but I think the song is perfect for this chapter and the picture...T.T

TheAngelOfMusic27

P.s. This is dedicated to all my wonderful readers :)