chapter twelve

Amber's head pulses furiously and she groans, leaning back into her chair. The events that occured earlier that day flashes within her mind; a series of screaming and dying. Her heart twists painfully when she thinks about Ronald; is he really a grim reaper or is everyone joking her? Will he ever be okay? A tear escapes her eye and Amber quickly wipes it away using the back of her hand. The door to the room swings open, colliding with the wall. A pair of feet scurry over to her,

"Come on Miss. Amber, my Lord wishes to see you for tea!" Mey Rin grabs Amber's hand excitedly, "We should hurry, we must! My Lord would be angry if you're late." With a sigh, Amber brings herself to her feet, wincing when her joints pop into place. There was so much blood...

Mey Rin leads Amber through the maze of corridors, chatting up a storm,

"He never does anything wrong!" Mey Rin says with a sigh, "And he is absolutely perfect..."

"Who exactly are you speaking of?" Amber asks, her voice ringing jarringly through the halls. Mey Rin giggles silently, her hand squeezing Amber's.

"Sebastian of course!" She replies in a hushed whisper, "He is just so perfect!" Mey Rin leads Amber down a new corridor, "So," she says in a louder voice, "How are things with Ronald?" Amber turns away from Mey Rin; not to hide the forming blush but the tears in her eyes.

"I don't know if I will see him again." The words tumble from Amber's lips like a choked whisper, "S-something happened and I'm not sure if he will be okay."

"An accident Miss. Amber?" Mey Rin inquires and Amber's chest contracts at the concern in Mey Rin's voice. Amber thinks back; Ronald couldn't have been hurt with the chainsaw because Grell was using it against Sebastian. That leaves Madame Red and a possible knife.

"Yeah." Amber replies, her voice quivering slightly, "An accident."

Ciel sits at his desk, his chin resting on his palm, listening to the gardener-Finny-shout to the birds outside. Sighing, Ciel allows his hand to fall against his table; there is a dull ache inside of his chest and he shuts his eyes, watching as the life drains out of his aunt...slowly and painfully. Why is he feeling this pain, after all, she did try to kill him. But she is his only family left with the exception of his fiancé, Elizabeth; his parents are dead and he has no other siblings. There is a knock on the door and Ciel peels his eyelids open.

"Come in."  The door flies open and Mey Rin bounds inside, dragging a silent Amber behind her. Ciel can't help but notice the red tint in Amber's eyes and he comes to the conclusion that she is concerned for the blonde reaper.

"Here we are Miss. Amber!" Mey Rin leads Amber to the chair across of Ciel's desk and the blind girl lowers herself onto the velvet cushions. "My Lord!" Mey Rin says, giving Ciel a quick bow before bolting out of the room, leaving the two in complete silence.

"Y-you wanted to see me Ciel?" Amber asks, her head lowered so that silken strands of gold conceal her face...her tear stained face. Ciel pulls his lips into a frown.

"You have been crying Lady Amber; may I ask why?"

"So many deaths." Ambers replies half-heartedly, "When will the funerals be?"

"Your maid's funeral will be in two days time. Madame Red's," Ciel's throat begins to close up, "Will be a day after. The Undertaker is fitting her a coffin as we speak." Amber nods her head slowly, her fingers idly running across the light blue fabric of her dress.

"Okay." she says, tracing circles onto the cloth, "so, why am I here exactly?"

"I wish to speak with you about what happened earlier today." Amber makes a choking sound from the back of her throat, the blood draining from her face agonizingly slowly and Ciel studies her worriedly, "Are you okay?"

"Perfectly fine Ciel." Amber mutters and Ciel lifts himself from his seat. He strides over to Amber and she turns her face to the ground.

"Please look in my direction and say it again." Ciel orders. Slowly, Amber raises her head and turns to the direction of Ciel's voice.

"I am perfectly..." Her eyes begin to water and she impatiently wipes them away, "Perfectly...f-fine." Ciel sighs, raising a hand to his temples.

"Amber, I understand how you're feeling. You two must have been really close-"

"No!" Amber flies to her feet, her form trembling, "I barely know Ronald! We only met a few days ago!"  A single tear escapes her eye and slides across her cheek, "Ciel, why am I feeling like this?" Ciel drops his hand and gazes curiously at Amber,

"Like what?" A soft pink appears on Amber's pale cheeks and she ducks her head, mumbling. "Can you repeat that Lady Amber?" Ciel asks, unable to hear her.

"Why do I..." Amber hesitates and Ciel places a hand on her arm, encouraging her to continue.

"Go on." Amber sucks in a deep breath and blushes,

"Why do I feel like I can't live without him?" Ciel pulls his hand away from Amber and returns to his seat, the heels of his boots clicking against the tile floors.

"I do believe that this Ronald had a great impact on your life." Ciel pauses briefly as he lowers himself back onto his seat, "You must be very worried."

"Of course I am." Amber replies in a quiet voice, her hand feeling for her chair, "But can we please change the subject?" She finds her chair and she gingerly lowers herself, "Can you please explain everything to me with truth? What exactly happened earlier? Was it all a joke; the explanation you all gave me about demons and grim reapers?" Ciel shuts his eyes, briefly imagining a world without them. It seems impossible in a way...

"I am afraid that it is no joke." He replies, allowing the information to sink into Amber's mind. Her expression turns from confusion to fear, and then to curiosity. "Please, allow me to explain." He says, "My parents were brutally murdered on my birthday a year ago. I was taken and put in a cage to be 'sacrificed' to God." A look of pure horror evolves on Amber's face and she opens her mouth to comment, "But," Ciel says, cutting her off, "I summoned a demon."

"Sebastian?" Ciel nods.

"Yes." Ciel confirms, "Sebastian. He saved me and we made a contract." Ciel's hand creeps to his eye-patch, his fingers resting on the soft material, "He would serve me as my butler until I get revenge on those who killed my family and imprisoned me. In return, he would get my soul." Amber releases a strangled gasp and Ciel slips off his eye-patch, "The proof of this contract is imprinted on my eye; a pentagram."

"So is that why you wear an eye-patch?" Amber inquires and Ciel nods, catching his reflection in the window; one eyes is a pure blue, the other is a deep purple with his contract symbol radiating a light glow.

"No one needs to know that I sold my soul to the devil...literally." Amber nods slowly, her lower lip jutting forward, concentration written across her features.

"Okay. I get that. But what about grim reapers?"

"What can I say?" Ciel asks with a shrug, "They collect the souls of the dying."

"So William collected Leona's soul?" Ciel shrugs again.

"I wasn't there. Maybe he did, maybe he didn't." He replies, taking his eye-patch in his hands. He pulls it on, brushing his hair from his forehead, "You are free to leave Lady Amber." Ciel says, "And do not speak a word of this to the servants."

Sorry, I updated later than usual. There was a storm and the power was out..
Ugh! I like warm weather but when it's this warm and when I have no AC, well, I wish I lived near a beach.

XOXOXOXOX
TheAngelOfMusic27