chapter seventeen

Ciel's heels click angrily as he paces across his study. Where is Amber? Who would possibly kidnap her? He growls, his footsteps becoming more staccato. Where is that girl? The young Earl is aware of Sebastian watching him with slight amusement, his crimson eyes tracing each and every one of Ciel's steps. Why isn't Sebastian doing anything? Groaning in frustration, Ciel rubs his fingers against his temples, attempting to block out the sound of Elizabeth's hysterical sobbing.

"My Lord." Sebastian says in his dangerously calm voice, "Lady Elizabeth seems distressed."

"I am aware of that!" Ciel snaps, glaring at his butler. Sebastian pulls his lips into a thin smile, obviously unfazed by Ciel's angry eyes.

"My Lord-" Ciel cuts Sebastian off with a disdainful wave of his hand. Sighing, the young Earl rakes his hand through his hair, gently lowering his fingers until they come in contact with the soft material of his eye-patch. This is his only choice...If he wants Amber back, he needs to use the contract...

"Sebastian, find Amber and bring her back." His fingers slip underneath the velvet, lifting the eye-patch from his eye. He can feel his eye burning as the contract begins its effect, "It is an order. Do it now Sebastian!" His butler gives a graceful bow, his lips forming a smile. Ciel shudders inwardly; it is an unsettling grin, less of a flash of amusement than the gleam of an unsheathed blade. In the dimness of the room, Sebastin's face is leached of all colour, making him look like the demon he is.

"Yes...My Lord..."

Ronald raises his knuckles to the large wooden doors, knocking loudly. The sound echoes through the air jarringly, mixing in with the howling of the wind and the rattling tree branches. The door flies open and Ronald comes face-to-face with a young girl: her auburn hair is pulled back into pigtails, her large glasses concealing her eyes, her hands wringing the edge of her maids outfit nervously.

"Ah! My Lord wasn't expecting guests!" The girl says. The sound of sobbing floats out of the manor and every function in Ronald's body arrests; is he too late? There is a squeak and the little mouse scurries up Ronald's arm, resting on his shoulder. Ronald winces, feeling a miniature shock-wave of pain race down his spine. The girl releases a startled shout, "A mouse!" She exclaims.

"I know." Ronald replies, "Now, if you please excuse me..." He shoves past the maid, stalking into the manor; it is bigger than he expected. The girl bolts after him, tripping over her own feet in her haste. She stumbles but manages to regain her balance at the last second.

"Ah! Sir! Sir! Wait! My Lord will be angry, yes he will be!"

"Sorry, but this is important..." Ronald replies under his breath, an image of Amber surfacing in his mind, "Really important." Ronald breaks into a sprint, ignoring the splitting pain in his foot. He races through the maze of corridors, his feet pounding against the hard floor. The crying is getting louder...louder...Using his good shoulder, Ronald shoves a door open, stumbling into a large candlelit bedroom. The sobbing has ceased, transitioning into bubbly hiccups.

"Hello?" A small voice inquires. In the dullness of the room, Ronald can see a tiny figure curled up on a bed. "Ciel, is that you? Sebastian?" The figure sits up and Ronald sees a flash of bright eyes, "Who are you?"

"Where is she?" Ronald asks. his voice quivering. The figure's pale cheeks are tear stained and flushed.

"Where is who?" The figure frowns and Ronald can feel his nails cutting into his palm as he clenches them into a fist.

"Amber. Where is she?" There is a strangled gasp and the figure flies off the bed in a mess of pink and yellow. It is a small girl.

"Oh! Are you Ronald?" Ronald studies the girl skeptically. Her eyes are green but not the same green as the eyes of the grim reapers,

"Yeah, why?" The girl gives him a sad smile and Ronald's heart skips a beat. Why is she smiling like someone just...died...

"I'm Ciel's fiancé, Elizabeth." No way! The pirate has a fiancè? "And Amber...she's...gone..."

Amber can feel the floor swaying as she groggily opens her eyes. What happened? She was at a ball with Elizabeth and Ciel, two men went up to her and dragged her onto the balcony and the rest is a mystery; she must have fainted. She can feel sharp bristles digging into her ankles and wrists; ropes. They scratch her, leaving her skin feeling as if it is being set on fire. There is a foul tasting cloth over her mouth and Amber gags. The floor dips and mist hits Amber's face, going up her nose and stinging her eyes. The bitter taste of salt enters her mouth and then it hits her.

She is on a boat.

There is a chuckle; harsh, like the sound of glass shattering.

"Looks like our sleeping beauty has finally awakened." The cloth is ripped from her mouth, leaving Amber's lips burning. She spits, recognizing the voice as the one belonging to the first man that approached her at the ball.

"What do you want with me?" A finger trails down Amber's cheek and she shudders.

"Your parents are rich, you are on good terms with the Earl Ciel Phantomhive...what do you think we want from you?" A second voice responds.

"They will not give you anything." Amber hisses, "Let me go, you are wasting your time."

"Am I?" The second man inquires, "Then I guess we'll have to finish you off now." Something sharp is placed at the base of Amber's throat; cold, hard, metal.

A knife...

sorry! I would have written more but I have a student and this is the only chance I get to update...I think. Oh and good news!!!! I finally got my first official piano student! As of now, I'm a 14 year old piano teacher who is getting her gr. 12 music credit in December!!!!

I'll update as soon as I can:)

TheAngelOfMusic27