chapter one

Ronald kicks a small stone across the street, watching as it bounces and rolls. Tearing his gaze away from the stone he lifts his eyes to the sky, squinting into the bright sun. He folds his hands behind the back of his head, blinking rapidly. There may not be a lot to do but if he had to choose between doing reports in an office and wandering around the human world...well the choice is obvious. Now, he has to come up with an excuse for Grell explaining how he won't be getting that date with William...

"Oh Miss! Please do be careful!" Ronald frowns, throwing a quick glace over his shoulder. He furrows his brows when he sees a young lady grab a younger girl, pulling her to the side and under a lightly coloured parasol. His frown deepens. Why is that lady holding onto that girl as if her life depended on it? Dropping his hands to his sides, he watches as the lady and the girl pass him. Without even a moments hesitation, Ronald shoves his hands into his pockets and follows them, making sure to stay a couple paces behind.

"Are we almost there Leona?" The girl asks the lady, turning to face her. The lady- Leona-nods and Ronald can see her grip tighten on the girl. The girl winces, a flash of pain appearing on her face, "And do stop holding me like that or I will be one big bruise by the time we get to the park." Leona gushes and her grip goes slack.

"I apologize Miss. Amber! I just don't want you to get hurt!" The girl-Amber-nods curtly and Leona's face returns to it's usual colour. Ronald can feel his curiosity growing. Why is Leona so protective of Amber? Surely a beautiful girl like Amber can take care of herself.

Wait.

Did he just think that?

Ronald lowers his eyes a fraction of an inch, seizing in Leona and Amber. He has to admit, for a human girl, Amber does have the looks: long flowing blonde hair a shade lighter than his own, pale porcelain skin, a delicate figure. And Leona is okay for an older woman but her bright orange hair hurts his eyes when he stares at it for too long. The park comes into view and Leona sits Amber down on a bench. Ronald stops a few feet from them, pretending to check the time. He takes out a wristwatch he had managed to swipe from William.

"I will be back in four minutes. I need to pick up some cleaner for the windows." He hears Leona say. Keeping his face down, he turns his eyes toward Amber and Leona, watching as Leona hands the parasol to Amber. Amber nods slowly, wrapping her fingers around the parasol.

"I won't be going anywhere." Amber says softly. Leona nods furiously and races off to one of the shops across the streets. Ronald watches as Leona's bright hair vanishes into the mob of people. After a second, he turns to face Amber.

"You don't have to pretend that you're not there." Amber say, catching Ronald off guard. He drops the wristwatch but manages to catch it at the last second. Amber turns to him and he notices that her eyes are a deep sea of grey. He stares into them, feeling the blood rush to his face.

Dammit. Caught...

"O-oh." He stutters, glancing down as if his black polished shoes are the most interesting thing in the world.

"I can feel you looking at me..." Amber's voice trails off and Ronald jerks his head upwards. His eyes meet Amber's a second time but he realizes that they're not exactly focused on him; her eyes are scanning the air above his head.

"I'm s-sorry, what?" Dammit! Ronald thinkS, biting his bottom lip. Quit the stuttering!

"Do I have to repeat myself to you?" Amber asks, not harshly. Without waiting for Ronald's response, she repeats her sentence, "I can feel you watching me."

"Feel?" Ronald echoes, narrowing his eyebrows. He studies the girl from behind his thick-rimmed glasses, "What is that supposed to mean?" Amber flushes; a light pink dusting her pale cheeks. Ronald can feel his pulse quicken at the base of his throat.

"Forget it." She says, turning away from Ronald. He pulls his lips into a frown, trying to analyze the girl's statement when it clicks.

She's blind.

Ronald frowns, scratching his chin with his fingers. This girl is blind and Leona left her alone in a park? His frown deepens.

"Are you still there?" Amber inquires and Ronald drops his hand; it bounces against his thigh.

"Yeah, why? You can't feel my staring anymore?" He says. Amber turns in the direction of his voice and smiles slowly. Ronald gulps, adjusting his tie; it suddenly feels as if it's on too tight.

"Well maybe it's because you're not staring." Amber replies curtly. She shifts the parasol in her hands, and Ronald can feel his cheeks flush. He mentally scolds himself by reminding himself that she is a human, one he probably wouldn't see ever again...
A large gust of wind blows by him and rips the parasol out of Amber's hand. She releases a surprised gasp, reaching out blindly. Without hesitation, Ronald darts forward and grabs the parasol. Closing it so it wouldn't blow away he places it in Amber's hands, biting his bottom lip as whispers a gentle 'thank you.'

"Don't mention it." Ronald says, tearing his gaze away from Amber with difficulty. He kicks the ground lightly and turns to leave.

"Wait!" Ronald stops and glances at Amber from over his shoulder, "Are you waiting?" Ronald grins.

"Yeah. I'm here." Amber nods slowly, her eyes focused somewhere behind Ronald. He shifts uncomfortably, the silence drawing out.

"Can I know your name?" Ronald's chest begins to ache and he glances down, placing a hand over his heart. Amber frowns, "Hello?"

"S-Still here." Stop with the stuttering! Ronald bite his tongue and the metallic taste of blood explodes.

"So..."

"Ronald." Amber runs a hand along the parasol.

"Ronald." She says slowly, almost as if testing the name, "I like it! I'm Amber." She places the parasol on the bench next to her, "Umm, can I ask you another question?" Ronald nods, then remembers that she's blind.

"Ask away." Amber flushes and turns her face to the ground.

"Can you, umm, stay until my maid comes back? I don't like being left alone..." Ronald can feel his own face heating up.

"S-sure." Again with the stuttering!

Amber scoots aside, making room for Ronald on the bench. He seems like a really nice guy. She hears the bench creak and she can feel his body heat as he sits next to her. A silence follows and Amber leans back, drinking in the warm sunlight. The hairs on the back of her neck tingles and she is aware of his staring once again.

"You're staring." She says. The eyes turn away.

"S-sorry." Ronald grumbles. Amber giggles at his awkwardness, and turns to where she thinks he is.

"Don't be!" She says, "You helped me out so much today, so there's nothing to feel sorry for." She reaches a blind hand and it comes in contact with soft cloth. Ronald sucks in a surprised breath and then gets up. Amber's hand drops to her lap.

"I-I'm s-sorry. I just remembered that I have work so...I, ugh, have to go!" Amber sighs and forces a smile. She was actually enjoying his company.

"Oh. Okay. Hope to see you again Ronald."

"Ugh, yeah. Bye!" She hears Ronald's feet against the ground, getting farther and farther away. She frowns. He sounds young, so how does he have a job?

"Was it something I said?" Amber whispers as she hears her maid return.

Ronald's feet hits the ground, sending shockwaves up his legs. Why is he feeling like this? It is definitely not like him to get all nervous around a girl, and a human girl makes it even worse! He can hear Leona return and he shuts his green reaper eyes. He shoves through the crowd of people, not caring about what they think of him. All he wants is to get far away...

He hits something solid and lands on the ground, scraping his palms.

"Damn." Ronald mumbles, bringing himself to his feet. He angrily dusts of his neat black pants, his palms stinging.

"Ronald Knox. And what are you doing out of your office?" Ronald can feel pin of ice freezing his joints in place. He slowly turns, facing the man he had run into.

"W-William. I wasn't expecting to see you here." Ronald plasters a large grin onto his face. William narrows his eyes, adjusting his glasses with his hedge clippers.

"Have you completed and filed all your reports?" William inquires and Ronald squirms under his steady gaze. What is with him today? He usually isn't like this.

"Yeah. Of course William! Why would I be here if I didn't finish?" William studies Ronald from behind his square glasses before dropping his head once in a brief nod.

"Very well then." William says, and Ronald gives a mental sigh of relief, "I have a soul to reap and I am already a minute off schedule." 

"Then go! Shoo!" Ronald shoves William away from him, feeling a grin form, "And don't be late for your date with Grell!" William cranes his neck attempting to look back at Ronald, his eyebrows narrowed.

"My date with Grell?" He echoes sternly, "Ronald-"

"Oh look at the time! Got to go William!" Ronald spins on his heels and dashes away from William, his heart pounding. For once in his life, he actually wants to go back to his office; maybe lock himself in and never come out...

"Oh dear Miss. Amber! You're looking quite distressed!" Amber can feel Leona's hand on her cheek and she forces a smile, her cheeks stretching.

"I'm perfectly alright Leona. How about we go home? I'm feeling tired actually." Leona's hand releases Amber's cheek and grabs her hand.

"Of course Miss. Amber! We shall go!"  Amber brings herself to her feet, wincing when she hears her joints pop. The sun has vanished and another cold wind runs by her, causing her to shiver. "Oh my lady! Are you cold?" Leona asks worriedly. Amber shakes her head.

"It's alright Leona. No need to worry; we are going home." She allows Leona to steer her through the busy streets of London, her thoughts wandering to that mysterious voice; Ronald. Why did he leave in such a hurry?  Her feet thud against the hard  ground and she shivers again.

"HEY! LOOK OUT!" A voice cuts through the air like a knife. 

"Miss. Amber!" Leona shouts and then Amber is shoved to the ground. There is a scream followed by a sickening crunch. Warm fluid splatters Amber's face, with the strong, bitter scent of blood.

"Leona?" Amber calls out helplessly. She freezes when there is no reply, "Leona?" Her body begins to tremble and she grips onto her dress feeling wet, sticky blood. Words float around her; the words of complete strangers.

"Carriage accident..."

"I think she's dead..."

"Pushed the girl out of the way..."

Amber's heart twists, "Leona?"

"Miss. Leona Welkins." A male voice says. It is unlike the distressed voices around her. This voice is calm and monotone, "Age: 28. Time of death: 11:17 a.m. Cause of death: Carriage accident." There is the sound of metal singing through the air, followed by yet another sickening crunch.

"Hey!" A lady shouts from the crowd, "What are you doing to the body?"

"Merely doing my job as a reaper." The voice replies, so quietly Amber has to strain her ears in order to hear him. She frowns. As a reaper? Surely she heard him wrong.

"Why you..." The same lady says, then the crowd gasps. Amber frowns in confusion.

"He's gone."

"Just vanished into thin air..."

William T. Spears adjusts his glasses, leaning forward to stare at the bloody scene from his position on the rooftop. As bloody as it is, it is his job. He watches as Leona's cinematic record exits her body as he grips his hedge clippers death scythe. He sighs as his thoughts wander to the girl sitting on the ground, covered in Leona's blood, staring helplessly at the scene. Now she's all alone. William chases away his thoughts and prepares to collect Leona's soul.

Beloved readers,

My anime fanfiction begins. This is for a school contest so...yeah.

Love you all,

TheAngelOfMusic27