chapter thirteen

"Oh, please William? Pretty please with a cherry on top?" Without even glancing in Grell's direction William continues to walk through the libary, his apple green eyes slewing from book to book. Grell makes a whining sound at the back of his throat and William whips his head in the red head's direction, his eyes flaming.

"What are you even asking Mr. Sutcliff?" William asks, his irritation barely contained.

"It's Miss. Sutcliff my beloved! And can I please have my chainsaw back?" William clenches his fingers for a second before releasing his grip on his palm. Gritting his teeth, William smoothes out the non-existant ceases on his shirt, his gaze returning to the books. Oh how he wishes to hit Grell on the face with one...

"I am not-nor will I ever be-your beloved." He says, "And you violated the rules and killed people who are not on your To Die list." William pulls a large novel from the shelf, his eyes studying the golden swirls on the cover.

"I'm not hearing a no..." Grell sings, peering over William's shoulder in curiosity. He scowls when he sees the book William is inspecting; a cinematic record-the life story of a dead human-in the form of a lengthy novel. He watches lazily as William runs a thumb across the navy cover.

"I am not saying yes and I doubt that I will be granting you permission to use your chainsaw anytime in the future-both near and far." William slides the cinematic record into a space between two 'books.' Spinning on his heels, William strides to a book shelf across the room.

"But what will I use as a death scythe?" Grell asks, bounding after the other reaper. William sighs and reaches into his pocket. Pulling out a pair of safety scissors he holds them out to the flamboyant red head. Grell stares at the scissors blankly, taking them. He turns it over in his hands, frowning, "What is this?" William throws Grell a glance over his shoulder,

"I do believe that you're holding a pair of scissors."

"I know that." Grell says, dangling the scissors from his fingers, "Let me re-phrase: why am I holding scissors?" 

"That is your new death scythe." William replies and the scissors drop onto the floor with a clatter.

"What? No! Why must you do this to me William?" Grell's hands fly to William's shoulders and his fingers grip onto the rough cloth.  Growling, Grell shakes the dark haired reaper, "You can't do this; it's so unfair!" William's elbow shoots back and jabs Grell's abdomen and Grell's grip goes slack. He clutches his stomach, staggering back.

"It is becauae of you that we are now two reapers short." William says, "First of all, Alan falls ill with his...condition and now Ronald is unable to work due to a stabbed shoulder. Do you not feel any regret?"

"It will pass my beloved." Grell cautiously creeps over to William, tracing a heart in the air with a finger. William shoots him a glare from behind his glasses and Grell squeaks, dropping his finger, "You are so cold." Grell states, bouncing on his heels. He drops his eyelid in a flitatious wink, "That's how I like them." A shudder attacks William's body his mind processes Grell's words.

"Do you know how Alan Humphries is doing, Sutcliff?" William inquires. Without waiting for a reply, he continues, "The Thorns of Death are dangerously close to his heart and we are not sure if he will last long. And do you know how Ronald is doing? He lost great amounts of blood and refuses to regain consciousnes."

"Well now, it wasn't me so stop making me feel bad." Grell says, leaning forward. He takes the scissors in his hands and pretends to throw it at William, his tongue poking out at the corner of his mouth. William raises his eyes upwards studying the elaborate designs on the ceiling.

"It was because of you; if you didn't decide to kill those people-"

"But they looked so lovely painted red!" Grell slams his heel against the ground. William spins around so that he is facing the other reaper, his form rigid and tense. He glares at Grell and he cowers away, his face turning pallid.