Part 2: Chapter 20

Dinner was an awkward affair. Harry could hardly breathe through the tension between the family. No one talked about their day at work or discussed Quidditch or asked how school was going, like Harry had experienced at the Weasleys'. Most everyone was quiet, except for a mumbled "please pass the potatoes" here and there. Harry ate his food quickly, hoping to give the hint to Draco that he wanted to get out of there.
"So," Lucius said when they were finishing dessert, making Draco's gaze snap upward in surprise. "I've yet to see you and Harry separate hands. You must be very close."
"Yeah..." Draco said uncertainly. "We are..."
Lucius gave him a forced smile that looked more like a leer to Harry. "I daresay you two are rather exhausted after your travel and your meal? Let me show Harry to his room."
"His room?" Draco repeated. "But he needs to sleep with me."
Harry nodded in agreement when Draco stamped on his foot.
"I'm afraid we Malfoys are a very traditional family," Lucius said slyly. "I must insist you sleep in separate bedrooms."
"Father, we quite literally can't," Draco said. "We've... The reason we've been holding hands this entire time is because we have this curse... Thing. It makes it so that if we aren't touching each other in some way, we both feel a lot of pain."
Lucius looked mildly surprised for a moment, and then he smiled his leering smile again.
"Really," he said. "How very interesting. So this... curse... It is the only reason you are holding hands?"
"Er... Yes?" Draco said, uncertain where his father was going with this.
"Hm. You know, actually, before bedtime, there's someone I'd like you to meet," Lucius said. "Or rather, meet formally. I'm sure you've seen her around before. Kindly wait here while I get her."
Lucius swept away from them down some hallway and Draco caught Harry's eye nervously. 'What do you think he's up to?' He mouthed. Harry shrugged.
They waited somewhat anxiously for a few minutes before they heard footsteps echoing from the hall Lucius had gone down. Lucius came into view, followed by a tall, thin woman with wavy brown hair.
"Draco, Harry, I'd like you to formally meet Professor Anglia, who I assume you've seen at school," Lucius said, gesturing to the woman.
Harry glanced at Draco, whose free hand was reaching toward his back pocket, where his wand was.
"Yes, yes, we've met," Professor Anglia said cheerfully. "Alright there, Mr. Potter? No more poisoning mishaps?"
"Er... No," Harry said uneasily.
"Well, Draco, I'm sure you'll agree with me when I say I was quite disappointed that it didn't work the second time either," Professor Anglia said, turning to Draco.
"...What?" Draco said.
"Oh, that's right," Professor Anglia said gleefully. "You don't know yet, do you?"
"Know what?" Harry said bravely. "That you're Bellatrix Lestrange?"
Professor Anglia turned her gaze to him. "Ooh, very good, Potter," she whispered. "Yes, I thought it would be interesting to try the same little trick Crouch pulled a couple years ago, but I see that I am no match for the great Harry Potter. He has outsmarted us Death Eaters yet again..." She gave a mock sad face to a wall.
"But Draco here, I'm sure, can be of great help," she continued, her eyes gleaming dangerously in Draco's direction.
"What do you mean?" Draco said, glancing at Harry.
"Draco, don't you want to help your auntie and your daddy?" Bellatrix said in a belittling voice.
"...Help you do what?"
Harry had been so focused on Bellatrix he hadn't noticed Lucius slipping away out of his sight, and seconds later he felt his wand being snatched from his pocket. Lucius rejoined Bellatrix's side, sneering and twiddling Harry's wand in his hands.
"This, of course," Bellatrix answered. "Watch out, Draco. Crucio!"
"Protego!" Draco shouted seconds before the spell hit Harry.
Bellatrix let out a small shriek as the curse rebounded to her. She glared up at the boys. "Now, Draco, don't be afraid, I won't hit you if you stay out of the way," she growled.
"You're not hurting him," Draco said firmly, looking her right in the eyes.
Bellatrix looked back at him, momentarily shocked. "Draco," she breathed. "I realize now that perhaps the reason you helped to save Potter when I poisoned him at Hogwarts was that you were afraid of getting into trouble. But there is none of that here. Now stand aside!"
She raised her wand again, but Draco planted his feet in front of Harry, guarding him. "No," he said, his voice low and dangerous. "You won't hurt him."
"Draco—" Harry started.
"You won't hurt him," Draco continued, "because I love him."
Lucius's eyes widened; Bellatrix stared at Draco for a few seconds before she burst into her signature spine-shivering cackles. "Very funny, Draco... Now stand aside..."
Draco did not laugh and he did not stand aside. "I'm not joking," he whispered, his tone deadly.
Bellatrix stared at him again, her eyes wide.
"Expelliarmus!" Draco shouted at her, but Bellatrix rebounded the spell right as her wand began to fly from her fingertips. She wasn't laughing anymore, her eyes fixed on Draco. "Oh," she said softly. "So that's how you want to play this game."