Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

“When you fear a foe, fear crushes your strength; and this weakness gives strength to your opponents.”

—William Shakespeare

Kingdom of the DarkFae

“So tell me of your progress, dear boy,” Alderon spoke as he brushed the beautiful mane of the Kelpie stallion. The horse immediately grew still, afraid of the anger his response would provoke in his master. He gently brushed the side of his face against the green grass preparing himself for the wrath he was sure to face. He slowly raised his eyes to meet Alderon’s inquisitive gaze and then shook his head.

“You have nothing?” Alderon practically shouted.

The high-pitched sound of his master’s voice caused the horse to immediately draw back and suddenly change form. It was instantaneous, and yet it was magical. In a matter of seconds, he transformed from horse to man and immediately knelt before his impatient king.

Patrick drew in a deep breath and began speaking but knew to keep his head down. “I have spent my time there scouting the premises,” he said in a low voice.

“I know how important it is to go undetected, and I am merely trying to be cautious,” he continued hoping to soothe his master’s wrath.

“Although I appreciate your vigilance. There is a sense of urgency that you are obviously not comprehending,” Alderon replied in a harsh tone. “I sent you there because this is an important mission, not only to our people but more importantly to me!” He roared the last words.

The ground trembled at his fury.

“I understand the need to shift through undetected. However, I also want this matter resolved as quickly as possible,” Alderon said as his angered gaze penetrated the top of Patrick’s head. A black light came from Alderon’s eyes and moved toward Patrick. The beam stayed an inch away. Patrick had no idea how close he was to death.

“If you are incapable of finding her, I will have you immediately removed from this mission.”

Patrick looked up and faced the look of anger and disappointment in Alderon’s eyes, “My time there has not been entirely without result. I found him quite easily. I’m sure you know of his appeal. He has many followers… admirers.”

Alderon continued staring at Patrick in silence.

“Most of them are dimwitted and love struck. As of yet, not one of them sticks out. So, I need to be sure,” Patrick continued on, pleading. “I just need a bit more time, master. I will prevail, if you just give me some time.”

“You have no other option but to prevail.” He turned his back to him. “And the other matter we discussed? Did you get what I asked?”