FAE - Chapter One

THE LOST COLONY

In 1587, a small group of settlers came from England to the Americas in search of the New World. They crossed a wild sea and braved unknown dangers with hopes of having a second chance at life. Led by Governor John White, they came upon a wild and untamed island off the coast of what is now North Carolina.

They named their new home Roanoke Island.

Once the new colonists were settled, White returned to his ship and set sail for the journey back to England. Upon his departure, he assured them he would return soon.

When White’s ship left the shores of the Americas, he left one hundred and fourteen settlers behind. One hundred and fourteen men, women, and one pregnant widower named Eleanor Dare.

Within her womb, Eleanor carried the hope of a new world, the hope of a brighter future. Several months went by as the settlers adjusted to their new home and surroundings. It was during this time, in the middle of this unchartered territory, that young Eleanor gave birth to a baby girl and named her Virginia.

After three years of absence, Governor John White returned to Roanoke Island armed with supplies and gifts from their old land, anxious to see the life the settlers had created.

What he found would be whispered in tales for centuries and would burn like acid in the hearts of future colonizers.

Not a trace of shelter.

Not a trace that anyone had ever been left on the island.

Not a trace of life.

They were gone. All one hundred and fourteen settlers had vanished. It was as if they had never even existed.

Today they are known as The Lost Colony.

THE PROPHECY

The old woman’s ancient voice rang with a quiet authority, her tone not to be doubted. Her hair spun wild and gray around her small, frail face. Her eyes shone a pale translucent blue, which would frighten any mortal that dared cross her path.

But I was no mortal.

We sat in an ancient Tuatha DéDanann circle, one that our people used for centuries when looking into the future. I glanced up at the silver moon and savored the cold breeze that hit my face. I tried to hide my reaction from the old woman as I concentrated on the circle of trees that surrounded us. But it was difficult, even for me.

It wasn’t as if I was frightened of her, like the mortals would be. No, I wasn’t afraid of her person. I was only afraid of her words.

They seemed to permeate my soul.

I willed myself to wake up out of this fog-like dream. But the old woman was cunning and knew that if I awoke, I would disappear into the air, and she wouldn’t be able to chant her prophecy to me. Instead, she came to me in my dreams, trapped me so I couldn’t leave. Her hold was too great, all-powerful in sleep.

I would remember everything that she said when I woke, and I would ask Him what it all meant. It was a premonition. One that would be solidified by the runes.

“The Fae have existed since the earth was born. They have lived here, beyond human comprehension, among mortals since the beginning of time.“

With her husky voice, she began to weave her tale as she laid out the runes in the traditional way, in order to read the future.

“Your people came here from distant lands and created their very own universe, one that was designed to live within the world of the humans. To co-exist with the mortals but never interfere.” While she spoke, her eyes took on a faraway gaze as she recounted the history that I knew as well as I knew my own name.