FAE - Chapter Two

CHAPTER TWO

“The future was with Fate, the present was our own.” —Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

THE GREAT HALLS OF VALHALLA

In the beginning, there were great Gods that ruled the earth. The grounds would tremble under their footsteps, Mother Nature herself would do whatever they asked. They kept peace, fighting wars to ensure the human race could thrive and succeed in spite of its weaknesses. Their will was one of power and control.

But there was one that stood above them all. A legend among the Gods. Powerful, but benevolent. A magnanimous warrior with a heart of gold.

His name was Odin.

He was a golden God, tall and strapping, fighting beside his soldiers and always remaining true of heart.

And he was now the keeper of The One. Trusted to ensure his safety, raising him in Light and love, but with a heart of a warrior. Ready for battle. Ready to take on even the greatest of enemies...

Odin sat alone on his throne and watched as the ceiling above him opened up, revealing a thousand stars glittering like diamonds in the night. Odin moved his head back and waited for what was to come.

It was a slow build that began to vibrate against the walls, and then the wind blew around him in a fury, causing his deep blue cape to whip in frenzy. He lifted his hand toward the heavens, and suddenly two eagles circled above in the sky. Their movements were fluid, uniform, as if they had danced this dance for thousands of years. They swooped down and flew into the hall, and the wind stopped for a brief moment as they called out to Odin.

“What news have you brought me, my faithful pets?” Odin asked as he watched them move around the room, whipping in circles above him..

“The time is near,” Munin, the elder eagle answered, his ancient voice echoing in the room.

Odin tensed at the words.
“We fear what is to come,” Hugin said as he circled the room.
“Why fear? We shall be victorious,” Odin stood up and roared out the words.
“My lord, we do not fear the course. We only fear that the future King will deny her.

If this happens we worry what the outcome will be,” Hugin assured him.
“Devilyn will do what is right.”
“The Dark is strong. Its energy fills the air,” Munin informed him. “It is palpable, a

tempting aphrodisiac even for the true of heart.”
“Then we shall be stronger,” Odin said with finality, and then his cape whipped

around him in a flash and he was gone. D

I leaned against the doorway, deep in thought going over the events of the day.
“You saw her?” he asked.
I barely nodded.
“You don’t seem pleased.” He was examining my reaction. He already knew how I

felt, my thoughts, my plans. He was after all, all knowing.
“I’m trying to stay indifferent,” I responded, knowing that this would bother him.

Knowing that this statement would be seen as shirking my responsibilities.
I sat down at the massive dining room table and allowed one of his servants to fill a plate for me. As usual, the large mahogany table was filled with every type of sumptuous meal known to man. Tonight I had my choice of filet mignon stuffed with some rare French cheese or some truffle-infused lamb dish, served bloody. The luxurious display was after all, the food of the Gods. And as usual the room was beautifully set with large

wax candles and the finest silk tablecloth.
It was a tradition with our family. Every night we dined together, no matter where we

were, or what plans we had, we ate dinner as a family. Just like a human family.
But slightly different.
After my plate was filled, he snapped his finger and the servants disappeared into