Chapter Ten

Chapter Ten

“He who is not impatient, is not in love.”

—Italian Proverb

C

I arrived at school pretty early Monday morning. I went straight to the Math lab and decided that I would try and complete some of my homework before our weekly meeting for the school paper. I had had such a difficult time getting anything done all weekend that I thought that if I came an hour or so earlier than usual, I could get it done before Natalie Simmons passed out our assignments for next week’s edition of the paper.

Our meetings were typically very short, and most of the reporters had quite a bit of autonomy. Unless of course there was a particular story that piqued Natalie’s interest. Then the person who was assigned to it would usually have one heck of a time. After our assignments were given, we would usually have a few days to complete them before she would get them out to press for the following week. Some took longer than others to write, so starting fresh at the beginning of the week was always helpful.

If I hadn’t been so behind in my homework for the week, I would have gladly welcomed a new story, but this weekend had been filled with so many distractions that my work had been piling up. It wasn’t like me to procrastinate.

I grimaced in anticipation of the week of long nights ahead of me, one that I definitely wasn’t looking forward to. I was also a bit nervous about the History project with Devilyn. I had so many things left to do for it and was hoping that I would be able to have some time to complete all of my research.

I looked at the clock. It was half past seven. I continued to silently pray that Natalie would go easy on me when she arrived. We usually started our meetings promptly at seven thirty, so I knew our irritating school editor would have to be making an appearance soon. Just as I began to drift off into another daydream, Natalie’s voice called out, interrupting as usual.

“Okay everyone. I had such a crazy weekend,” she practically screeched as she walked in the room like a tornado. It was a wonder she could keep it all together.

She planted a pile of papers on a desk and started rummaging through them.

“I’ve compiled a list of some interesting stories. It’s here somewhere,” she said as she moved the stack around. “I’ve got to say we have a bunch of exciting things happening this week that need all of our focus and attention,” she said in an eager voice that was shockingly chipper for being so early in the morning.

I glanced out the window and longed to be running through the grass or walking through the Elizabethan Gardens. The leaves were changing, and soon snow would fall. I loved this time of year.

“Earth to Caroline?” she called out.

I turned suddenly and forced a smile, “What do you have for me, Natalie?”

“You have the most coveted story of the year,” she told me in glee.