Year 1: Chapter 16

Willow didn't know how she managed to pull herself together enough to sleep and study for the next week. Her wound was constantly bothering her, and she would have called it a pain in the butt except that it was a pain in her back. She wished she could bring herself to tell that joke but realized she couldn't afford to stress her friends out more than she already had. Plus, they would get angry over the rest of the story, which included her saving Draco. It wouldn't even cross their mind that Draco might have saved Willow's life in return. With their bias against him- warranted as it might be- they'd more likely think along the lines that Draco at least owed her that for saving his life.

Her last study session of the term with her friends was rather bittersweet. They went over all their notes one last time, then told stories and reminisced the fun times they'd had together that year, the different ways they all met, how they came together as a single group, and the interesting things they had learned about each other along the way. Sue had actually started crying, thanking Willow for being the one to bring her out of that rough spot in her life. Willow couldn't stop blushing, insisting that it was all her, that only Sue could have changed Sue's mind. Still, Sue hugged her to death and invited her to stop by over the summer. Her parents had agreed that it would be okay.

In her classes, Willow pretty much raced Hermione to get things done, trying to make the mountains of homework more bearable. Her last Potions class with Draco was rather interesting. It was the first class of the morning on their last regular day of the term. Draco was abnormally talkative, whereas he usually concentrated on brewing the potion. He refused to let Willow get away with her attempts to ignore him.

"Wisp, come on, stop ignoring me!" he hissed at her. "This is important!"

"What!" Willow finally snapped.

"It's about Quirrel. He's been acting really funny lately."

Willow froze, then relaxed, remembering that Draco had not nearly the knowledge she did about his dark intentions. "What has he been doing? He acts funny all the time."

"I know, but his stutter is the worst it's ever been. He can barely string one sentence together. I can't understand anything he says anymore. That, and I keep catching him looking at me weird."

"I think he's trying to tell you to change your hairstyle."

"Wisp, this is serious. There's something wrong with him."

"Not really, because he's been doing that to me, too."

"Everyone stares at you, Willow. Honestly, haven't you noticed?"

Willow stared at him, confused. "No, I haven't noticed at all, actually. That's kind of creepy. Who stares at me, and why would they in the first place?"

Draco rolled his eyes and sighed exasperatedly. "Duh, most of the guys. They like you because of how smart you are."

"Then why don't they stare at Hermione?"

"Because-" Draco paused, as if letting himself say something he shouldn't. "Because Hermione is not nearly as pretty as you. And before you say anything, no, I do not fancy you, or anyone else. I'm quoting the idiots I hear in the halls."

"Great. Come third year and I'll have to deal with that," Willow grumbled.

"Trust me, if you can deal with me, you can easily take care of them. It may be just me, but I'm pretty sure I speak for every guy when I say that I don't like being punched in the face."

Willow snorted. "That's true. I can take care of myself."

"Mr. Malfoy, Miss Guerrero, back to work," Snape said, suddenly appearing behind them.