Year 1: Chapter 8

Fifty-eight, fifty-nine, sixty, Willow counted in her head.

She puffed out a warm breath that was visible in the chilly morning air. Her lungs were ready to go at this point, and she took off, her turnover faster than ever. Willow was so happy about the temperature drop that she decided to take a four-mile run instead of her usual two that November morning.

A mist was rolling over the fields, and a cloud of fog floated lazily over the lake. The Quidditch pitch lay wreathed in the thickest cloud of moisture. Willow's stomach did flips with excitement when she remembered that Gryffindor would be facing down Slytherin later that day. Harry was about to play his first quidditch game ever, and Willow was determined to cheer him on louder than anyone else.

Willow ran around the pitch, the spectator towers alternating in color. She was over the moon about watching a live game. Willow had tried to imagine it in her head, players racing to and fro, beaters cracking a bludger or two into a few opposing players, keepers making amazing saves, but she knew that it wouldn't even come close to the real thing. Any game that required flying on a broomstick would be fun to watch, Willow thought.

She didn't slow down at the three mile mark, which surprised her. She never had this much strength and energy. Willow thought it must be the cold air, which never failed to invigorate her. She ran alongside the Forbidden Forest, listening to the playing winged horses, reminiscing on the times she had spent in the place. Willow remembered that she had failed to ask anyone about the horses, and she had never returned with the map after that night she spent stargazing.

You should have done that, you big dummy, Willow scolded herself. What if it's important?

Willow promised herself that she would accomplish those two thing before Christmas.

When she had finished the final sprint at the end of her run, Willow still wasn't all that tired. She still went inside right away, not wanting to get in trouble for being outside too long in the early morning. The castle had cooled considerably over the past few days. Every hallway had a draft now, and only Willow could tolerate it. Even Draco, who acted tough about everything, was shivering to death when he walked from class to class. Willow made it to the common room without disturbance and slipped inside. She was shocked to find that a pair of twins was also up.

"Sally? Samuel? What are you doing awake already?" Willow whispered.

The twins jumped up, wide-eyed, then relaxed when they saw who it was.

"Sorry, Willow," Sally apologized. "We didn't know it was you."

"We couldn't sleep last night, so we came down here this morning," Samuel explained.

"The fire is nice and warm, isn't it?" Willow commented, adding another log onto the hot coals.

"Yes, it is," Sally agreed. "Thank you."

"So, do you always have trouble sleeping?" Willow asked.

Both twins uncomfortably shifted on their feet, then Samuel said, "Yeah, I guess so."

"You know, I have the same problem."

The twins glanced at Willow at the same time. "Really?"

"Yes. Nightmares are the worst, aren't they?"

Sally's mouth dropped to the ground while Samuel blurted, "How did you know?"

"I rescued you, didn't I?" Willow said. They nodded. "I saw your injuries. Although I don't know details, I know that whatever happened to you, it was absolutely horrible. That kind of stuff doesn't go away. It decides to stay a little longer as nightmares. I hate it, but it does give me an advantage over other kids when we all have to stay up late studying."