[ 39 ]

Bastian felt his heart sink. After he had traveled all this way, and finally managed to broker some kind of weird peace with the Selachs, it would be for nothing. He knew that light, even though he had never seen the Trident used before, he could feel it. His instincts screamed at him to flee.

Nothing would escape from the power of Neptune.

Even as he felt the sharp dagger of disappointment, he found himself moving downward. Bastian shouted down at Varya. "Get your people away! Arsenius is attacking."

Rodion grabbed Bastian's arm and yanked him back. "What do you mean, attacking? Did we not just make a deal?"

Bastian gritted his teeth. "My Uncle has acted on his own. He does not speak for my tribe. Just leave here. I'll handle it."

Varya swam between them, using her arms to push them apart and free Bastian of Rodion's iron grip. "Rodion, we need to do as he says. Trust me, Bastian's word is as good as Selene's." Though it may have been a little blasphemous to compare Bastian to the goddess of the Moon, Bastian was still grateful for Varya's interference. Rodion seemed more inclined to listen to her than Bastian.

Rodion growled at Varya. "You should learn to hold your tongue, girl. We will stay and face this threat." He turned and shouted at his people in their tongue. Without hesitation, the Selachs formed smaller schools and faced the pillar of light. 

"And as for you, guppy," Rodion snarled, "if you cannot keep your part of the bargain, then you will not leave this place alive. Now, do what you said you would. Protect us." 

Another wave of power pulsed through the ocean, and Bastian winced. The golden light was stronger than anything he'd ever felt before. It seared his skin and left him feeling bruised. Still, he swam downward. 

Some part of him knew that the only chance any of them had of surviving was standing on the ocean floor.

Zareb caught up to Bastian just as he reached the statue of Selene. Fear made Zareb's eyes wide. "Bast! We need to go."

Bastian shook his head. "It's Neptune's Trident, Zareb. We can't run from that." He saw the fear grow in Zareb's face, making him pale and sickly looking.

"We're dead." Zareb whispered.

Bastian reached up and grabbed Zareb's arm. "I won't let you die, Zareb. I'm not going to lose anyone else." His voice was sharp, both with pain and with determination. The loss of Melodia still weighed heavily on him. "Besides, it's probably just the Selachs that he's targeting."

Realization hit them both at the same time. While the Naiads most likely wouldn't be severly injured by the Trident, Varya and Varick would share the same fate as the rest of their tribe. Zareb drew his shoulders back and nodded. "What do you need, Bast?"

"I need time, Zareb. Just a little time and a ton of luck." Bastian turned back around and stared at Selene's peaceful face. "I don't know exactly what I'm doing, yet, but I'm ... I'm sure it's all I've got. Gah, why did Arsenius have to be so impatient?!"

Despite the situation, and imminent death, at hand, Zareb actually laughed. "It runs in the family," he said as he rubbed his eyes. "Whatever you're doing...just do it quick." The warrior swam toward the light, and Bastian watched him go. He wondered what Zareb was thinking, but he knew he couldn't dwell on it. Time was not on his side.

Bastian focused on the statue, and laid his hand upon her cheek. It felt a little disrespectful, but he couldn't think where else to put his hand that wouldn't be weird or awkward. He took a breath and spoke to her. "Oh great goddess of the moon, friend of Triton and protector of merfolk, hear me now."

White light flared up in Bastian's peripheral vision. The water cooled around him and he glanced toward Zareb. In front of the red-tailed merman, a Song was taking physical form. From Zareb's voice, a red light spawned and grew. It sprouted two arms and a magnificent tail until it manifested a full merman form, complete with a shield strapped to its arm. Zareb had summoned a guardian warrior, fierce and powerful and taller than the volcano. 

The shimmering Song-fueled defense stood between Bastian and the golden light of the Trident, shielding him from the violent movements of the water and the heat of Arsenius' power.

Surprise made Bastian lose his train of thought. He hadn't known that Zareb could make a guardian, much less such a large one. Pride swelled within him. Zareb was stronger than people gave him credit for. Bastian turned his attention back to the goddess, grateful for the loss of some distractions.

"Selene...please. I know you've done so much for me and my ancestors. You've guided and protected us for hundreds of years. I've known your blessings all my life, my lady, in my power and my destiny.

But now, I'm asking you to help me. I... I lost the pearl you gave me. I have only your grace left in me, but I need more. I need the power to stop the Trident from destroying this entire clan. Please, I'm begging you... help us."

Silence greeted him. The light of the Trident grew brighter. Around him, the ocean pulsed quicker, building up to the ultimate death of the Selachs. 

Bastian's chest ached. He rubbed a hand over his chest, and discovered that he was glowing. Soft silver light radiated from him. In front of him, the statue captured the light until it also seemed to glow silver. 

Selene's statue smiled. She moved her arm until her hand reached into Bastian's chest, and when she withdrew it, there was a lock of silver hair in her palm. Selene said nothing, but Bastian knew this was her answer. 

He felt abandoned. 

Why had she taken the last of his gifts? Now he had nothing. No control over the ocean, or supernatural grace. Now Bastian was nothing but a merman, just like anyone else in the ocean. 

Now you have a Song. The voice whispered into his mind, hoarse and fading quickly. Use it.  

Bastian turned and swam in front of Zareb's summoned warrior, stopping and placing his tail against the floor of the ocean. He faced the onslaught of power and felt it burn his skin again. He took a deep breath. 

Bastian sang. 

His Song erupted through the ocean, full of dazzling golden light and warm love. Bastian sang to protect the Selachs from unjust death, to save his friends, and to stop his Uncle from committing a sin that he would never forgive himself for. 

A diamond formed over the entire Selach tribe, starting just in front of Zareb's summoned warrior and ending at the ustrina. Only Bastian was outside of it. He anchored the diamond with his own body, because he had no weapon to center the magic on. 

Behind him, he could hear voices, but they were muffled by the magic. Bastian sang, and Neptune's power burned through him. It bubbled under his skin, it seared his scales, it tore into him. He felt himself begin to dissolve.

The light blinded him. All of the ocean heaved. His diamond cracked under the pressure, but he never stopped singing. Bastian closed his eyes. 

When the light of Neptune's trident faded, his diamond shattered. 

Bastian's Song faded.

And he was nowhere to be found.