Prologue: The Moon Fell In Love

Long ago, when the humans were beginning to walk with confidence over the land, there was a time in which the gods were worshiped. Delighted with the earnest praise of the humans, the gods strove to bring them ever more grand gifts. Fire was harnessed from the Sun, who gave his warmth gladly. Ocean filled herself with teeming life so that the humans might look upon her with wonder. Earth grew and nourished and gave the humans sustenance and shelter.

Many gods fought for the attention and love of the humans, but there were also some who simply did not care about them. Among those were the distant Stars and the pale goddess that the people called Moon. 

Moon's true name was Selene, and she danced across the sky every night, glowing silver with her power. During the day, she slept in the cradle of the Heavens, far beyond the sight of mortals. Her gaze only swept over the world below her on occasion; the worries and hopes of the mortals who lived there meant nothing from so far away. Especially when Selene could not communicate with them. 

Unlike most of the gods, Selene had awoken without a Voice. In the distant night sky, she found that she neither wanted nor had use for a Voice, and did not mourn her lack of one. Until she fell in love.

It was on a night like any other that her eyes, cast down to Earth, caught on the sight of him: the brunette with wildly curly hair who was laying on a soft bed of grass. At his fingertips was a well worn wooden staff of the kind sheep herders used to guide their flocks. In his mouth was a piece of straw that he seemed to be idly chewing, and his eyes were closed. His lips were curved slightly upwards as though he were preparing himself to have a nice dream or thinking of a warm memory in his heart.

For the first time, Selene paused in her graceful dance over the arch of the sky and simply stared. time froze for her until the deep blue sky that she rested in turned pearly gray; the first sign that her counterpart was well on his way into the sky. 

Sun would shove her to the side whether Selene was done watching the world or not, so she hurriedly left the sky. All during the sunlight hours, Selene wished Sun would hurry up and get done with the day. Then she might find this young man once more on the edge of dreams and imagine what it was he was dreaming of.

The pale goddess rose into the sky the next evening, earlier than was normal, and cast her eyes immediately upon the world below. When she found the young shepherd once more, it was all she could do to watch him as he laid down to rest. Though Selene had risen early, the mortal never once raised his eyes to the sky. After a long night of staring, she left the sky still longing to see his eyes turned up to her.

Again, Sun set and Moon rose. Again, the shepherd passed into dreams without looking up. 

Each night she rose into the sky, the goddess shone brighter and brighter in attempts to gain his attention. Each night, the shepherd hid his face from her light and dreamed. Selene danced ever more sadly as the longing inside of her found no outlet. As time passed, the Moon began to fade, growing smaller and darker with despair. 

Finally, the night came when Selene rose...and cast no light at all. 

Stars cried out to the Moon, wishing for her glow in the vast darkness of night. Ocean looked upwards, reflecting the yawning void where once there had been soft silver light. Below the horizon, gods of all nature looked upwards and grew alarmed for their sister.

In her darkness, the pale goddess wept the tears of the broken hearted, oblivious to those who looked to her because they were not her shepherd. If only she had a Voice! With a Voice, she might call to him and speak with him before he fell into dreams where she could not follow. With a Voice, Selene might finally come to know the shepherd who had captured her heart.