[ 10 ]

The citizens of Nereus scattered in every direction, panic and fear propelling them through the water. Only the warriors and the visiting clan representatives managed to keep their wits about them. Ceili shoved Lachlan and the other children on the dais into the middle of the crowd of diplomats while the adults turned their backs to face outwards, preparing for a fight. 

Arsenius launched himself in the direction of the initial scream and his personal guard followed suit--Atreus and Zareb among them. Bastian hesitated only a moment before he followed after his uncle. 

"Bastian, come back!" Melodia called out to him, but she was drowned out by the chaotic songs of the merpeople around her. 

As Bastian moved through the crowd, he searched the water for any signs of the selach that was approaching, but the fleeing people made it difficult. Bastian was shoved around in the crowd as he fought to go towards the danger rather than away from it.

Frustrated, Bastian yelled out, and the ocean responded to his emotions. "Move!" His magic flowed out of him, parting the crowd in front of him to clear a path. He swam forward, gripping the trident hard in his hands as he made it past the last of the crowd and into the open ocean. 

A quick scan of the water revealed what had stirred his people into panic; a group of shapes swirling around in the water at the Southern edge of the palace.

Bastian swam towards them, closing the distance quickly, until his eyes began to pick up details that had escaped him from further away; instead of the army of Selachs that he had feared, there appeared to be only one.

A woman floated in the water, her strange tail moving side to side instead of up and down. Not a single movement that she made was without purpose, and despite all the chaos she had caused, she seemed perfectly calm. 

Unlike the Naiads who kept their hair long and well groomed, her white hair was short--cropped at chin length--and choppy as though she had cut it herself. Over her left eye was a jagged white scar that ran from her hairline to the middle of her cheek, and the eye appeared to be opaque.

More importantly, she was surrounded by a school of sharks that circled lazily around her in the water. Bastian counted fifteen of them and wondered if she could control them the way some of the Selkies could control seals.

He lifted his trident and gathered his magic to himself before he spoke. "I am Triton Bastian." His voice boomed through the water. "For what purpose have you come to my territory, Selach?"

The mermaid swam forward, and the sharks slowly turned to face Bastian, as though they were also interested in what he had to say. "My name is Varya. I come in peace." Her voice was deep and there was no hint of magic in it. She lifted her hands in a show of submission, crossing them over her chest and gripping her own shoulders so that she would be at a disadvantage if he chose to strike.

Before Bastian could process the word peace, Arsenius shot into view on his left side. The merman roared as he slammed into Varya, tackling her down toward the sand. Bastian froze, startled into a stupor.

Below him, Arsenius' magic filled the water as he hit the ground with the Selach under him. His hand wrapped around her throat, cutting off her gills from the water, and he lifted a hand into the air. Varya wiggled under him, her fingers scrabbling at his arm to try and free herself.

Underneath Arsenius, Varya looked small and defenseless. 

Arsenius curved his fingers to turn his claws into a lethal weapon point. He drove his arm down, aiming for her neck in a fatal blow. Blood filled the water as one of the sharks bit down on Arsenius' arm, tearing his flesh and keeping him from executing his attack.

He cried out and Varya lifted her tail up and wedged it between their bodies. She propped her arms up in the sand and shoved hard against his chest, releasing his grip on her and sending him  backwards a safe distance from her.

As she gasped, Arsenius held his injured arm and his eyes were full of fury. "Selach scum." He spat at her. "You have chosen your grave site by coming here today." 

Varya glared at him in return. "I came to speak with the Triton, not to fight!" The shark who had saved her curled around her waist protectively. "But I will defend myself from violence if I must." She looked up to Bastian, who was still clutching his trident in hand.

"Please, Triton! I beg you for an audience."

Arsenius snarled at her. "Don't you dare talk to him!" The prince launched himself at the intruder again, prepared to kill her. 

"Arsenius!" Bastian's voice rang out clearly. "Cease your actions immediately." 

Though he had no magic in his voice, the effect he had on Arsenius was as strong as if he had sang. Arsenius froze and looked up at Bastian, his eyes wide and his face pale. 

"What?" He whispered at his nephew. 

Bastian hesitated. "I will hear what the Selach has to say. You are not to lay a finger upon her unless I give the order."

"You...you cannot be serious. Her people killed Augustus!" Arsenius' voice betrayed him, faltering on his brother's name. 

Bastian winced. "Be that as it may, she has come alone and...relatively unarmed." He looked to Varya. "Your sharks cannot accompany you within the city limits. Please send them away." 

She laid a hand the head of the shark that still circled around her. Her eyes were uncertain, and her body was tense as though she wanted to swim away instead. 

"Varya," Bastian spoke gently, as he might speak to a skittish animal. "You have my word as Triton that nothing will harm you while you are in my city so long as you come with peaceful intentions. This is a talk of good faith. Understand?"

Varya the Selach lifted her chin, squared her shoulders, and nodded.

"I understand."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note:

Hello lovelies! One day, I will figure out how to write dialogue and build proper suspense. On that day, Arsenius will develop more than one combat maneuver. Don't forget to vote if you like it and comment if you do or do not like it. I'm always happy to hear from you wonderful people!