[ 33 ]

"No." Bastian felt like he couldn't breathe again. "It's just an injury. We'll get you to Lachlan, Mother. He can sing for you." 

Melodia continued to smile, but there was a shift in her eyes from doting to stern. It was a look only a mother could give. "We know about Sacre Lune, Bastian. You only have a day to get there now. If you want this entire journey of yours to mean something, then you need to leave here. Quickly, before the Atlanteans descend upon us. They won't like that we've killed their queen."

Bastian shook his head. "No, Mother. You're more important. I'm sure we can--"

"Bastian!" Zareb's voice was hoarse as he barreled into the room. "Oh, thank Selene you're alive!" He turned and shouted down the hall. "Found him. Keep them off our backs!" Zareb swam forward and offered a half bow to Melodia. Several dark bruises were visible when he got closer, ranging all across his upper body.

"My lady, the Atlanteans are already upon us. If we're going to fight our way out, we need to escape before they can trap us in the tunnels of this building." 

"I understand." Melodia looked to Bastian. "This isn't a debate, my son. I'm your mother, and I'm telling you to leave."

Zareb looked to Bastian, confused. "What's going on?"

Bastian's hand gripped the Ocean's pearl tighter to his chest. He reached out and laid his other hand gently against Melodia's cheek. "I'll carry you, Mother. We can still get out." 

Tears filled her eyes, and she leaned into his hand. "You always were a sweet child. I'm sorry." 

"Sorry?" 

Melodia whistled a sharp, three-note melody that hit Bastian right in the face. He slumped over and Militum caught him by the shoulders before he could fall onto his mother. The guard looked to Zareb. 

"Take him. He won't be out long, but he needs to go. You know what you have to do."

Zareb paled. The entire situation seemed to finally register for him, and to his credit, he scooped Bastian into his arms without a word. When Zareb lifted his Triton, the Ocean's pearl fell to the floor and rolled. Zareb dragged the sleeping Bastian into the stairwell. Bastian groaned and Zareb pulled him up. 

Lachlan joined them and they found Varya and Varick on the ground floor. The Selach siblings were covered in blood, their pupils dark and their fangs bared. Varya seemed to have some control of herself. "Go up. Straight up."  She held out a hand to keep her brother back.  Varick growled at them and Varya's arm tensed. "We'll catch up."

Zareb didn't need to be told twice. 

Together, Lachlan and Zareb carried Bastian up to the top floor. They looked around the room for an exit until Bastian's eyes fluttered open. "Wha?"

Lachlan shifted Bastian to the floor and looked him over. Green magic sparked over Bastian's skin. It lingered over his growing bruises and sore wrists, alleviating the pain. The Triton smiled up at his two best friends. 

"I'm so glad you two are safe." Relief was short lived. The memory of his mother slammed into him and he sat up. "Mother!"

Zareb gripped his shoulder and ushered him back down. "Bast, focus, we need to get out of here."

"No! I won't leave her behind. I can't lose her." 

A scream ripped through the stairwell, echoing back on itself and growing louder. All of them turned to stare at it, but they knew the voice. Bastian knew what it meant. He reached for his friends and drew them close, crying into them as his world shattered. 

They carried him up, swimming through the open ceiling near the tree trunk and toward the glass dome above them.

**

Militum picked it up the Ocean's pearl and closed his fist over it before he turned his attention back to his queen. 

With Zareb guarding Bastian, all of Militum's attention focused onto Melodia. She could no longer hold back the tears that she had been hiding from her son, and they flowed freely down her cheeks. 

"Mi-Militum," she gasped, "I'll only slow you down. Please, watch over him."

The sounds of fighting reached the room; metal clanged against metal and voices rose in Song. Militum didn't move. He kept his arms around Melodia and bent over to place his forehead against hers. 

"Melodia, I lo--"

She interrupted him with a laugh that was half a sob. "I have waited most of my life to hear the words you're about to say, Militum." Melodia shook her head, which forced Militum back far enough to look into her eyes. 

Melodia's blue eyes, that had always seemed warm and loving to Militum, were full of unspoken words. "But now I need you to do what you have always done for me, Militum. I need you to protect what's most important in this world."

Militum hesitated. He had always done what Melodia ordered him to do. But now she was ordering him away from her. Militum shook his head. "I...I can't. I don't have it in me to leave you."

"I know." Years of friendship hung between them, like a comforting light that kept back the darkness of night. "That's why I'm going to make you." Melodia took a shuddering breath.

He realized what she had planned only when it was too late. "No! Melodia, please! We could still save you!"

Melodia sang. Her tears slid down to the floor of the room as she did. Each note made her body shimmer with magic, and then bubble. He finger dissolved into seafoam that crept up the rest of her.

Militum cried out and tried to keep holding onto her. She slipped out of his hands, nothing more than foam and a single gem that shone as it floated down to the floor. Melodia's vitae gem. The perfectly round sapphire flashed once, and then the light faded from the room and Militum was left in darkness.

He screamed his loss into the empty water. 

Atlantis was going to pay for what their queen had done, even if he had to tear down the entire city with his bare hands.