[ 9 ]

Darkness pressed in around Bastian as he reeled from his uncle's words. Literally? No, not literally. Mother was here when father was killed. What does he mean? As he struggled to find some way to make sense of Arsenius' claim, Bastian floated aimlessly in the water. 

Augustus was murdered by the Selachs during a peace meeting. Everyone knew that.

Slowly, Bastian turned himself towards the entrance of the arena and swam out into the open water of Nereus. The palace was only a short swim away, and he moved towards it without fully realizing what he was doing. When he snapped out of his daze, he found himself in his bedroom, staring up at a portrait of his father. 

The painting was the only image he had of his father and he ran a gentle finger over it, tracing the lines of the picture. Golden eyes stared out of the painting, smiling at something Bastian couldn't see. Dark skin rippled with lean muscle and long golden hair spread out like a halo around Augustus' form. Everything about his pose and his attire screamed royalty and confidence.

There were so many things Bastian didn't know about the father he had never met. He stared at the picture until the room began to lighten and signaled that it was time to dress. It was shortly after that when Militum knocked on his door. The guard entered the room and smiled at Bastian. "I see you are already dressed. Would you like some help with your hair?"

Gold jewelry inscribed with ancient insignias for rank and power draped over Bastian's chest, neck, arms and even his tail. Among the heavy jewelry was a moonstone brooch that kept the pale blue, waist length cloak strapped around him. A leather strap laced over his right shoulder diagonally until it disappeared under his left shoulder, allowing him full mobility while keeping his cloak close in the currents of the water. All of it felt a bit over the top to him, but his attire was a necessary part of the formal ceremony that would allow him to take the throne.

Bastian returned Militum's smile. "Yes, please."

Militum moved forward until he was behind the prince and lifted his large hands to Bastian's dark locks. With surprising dexterity, Militum began to braid the hair into the complex patterns of ceremony while Bastian watched him in the mirror that spread along the northern wall of his room.

"Militum?" Bastian fidgeted with one of his arm bands. 

"Yes, Prince Bastian?" Militum's fingers kept moving, used to the distractions posed by the prince's never ending questions.

Bastian hesitated, Arsenius' words echoing in his mind. If anyone could help explain them, it would be Militum; he never left Melodia's side for any reason. He opened his mouth to ask...but his courage failed him. He didn't know if he could handle the truth right now. "Do you think I'll be a good Triton?"

Militum chuckled. "I think you will be a great Triton. You are a lot like your father, Bastian." It was rare for him not to use the prince's title. 

"Really?" Bastian looked up and met his carrier's eyes in the mirror.

"Really." Militum promised as he finished off the last braid. "More importantly, you are also your own man and you are so much more than I could hope to see in a Triton. Now, come along Prince. It is time for the ceremony. I am sure your mother is already waiting." As Bastian turned to follow Militum, the older merman took Bastian's hand in his own and gently squeezed it.

They left the private quarters together, hand in hand.

Since all of Nereus was invited to the coronation ceremony, the only place they could hold it was above the flower shaped palace itself. At the very tip of the innermost spire, there was a flat dais that was normally empty. Today, it held the clan representatives as well as the trident and crown that would belong to the new Triton. 

As the day cycle progressed, merpeople rose from the city and swam above the glittering gold of the palace. Each of them vied for the best spot to watch the young prince, forming rings around the dais. There was a festive feeling in the air as the people anticipated not only the ceremony, but also the traditional feasting that would come after.

Melodia was waiting for them on the dais, dressed modestly in silver jewelry that marked her Undine heritage. She spread her arms and bowed to her son as he approached while Militum quietly slipped away to join the ranks of the guards that were stationed throughout the water. 

As a warrior, Zareb was stationed nearer to the dais, at the side of his carrier Atreus. Though Bastian knew that his friend could not break out of formation to speak with him, it was a comforting sight nonetheless.

On the far side of the dais, Prince Arsenius stood with his spine stiff and his eyes rimmed red. He did not acknowledge Bastian and looked as though his mind were elsewhere. 

Along with his family, the visiting diplomats were also awarded a seat on the dais. Lachlan was there too, sitting beside a woman Bastian did not recognize, but guessed was Ceili of the Selkies. The green tailed merman waved enthusiastically and pointed excitedly to his aunt. 

Bastian laughed, relieving some of the heavy tension inside of him.

"Bastian." Melodia's voice was warm and proud, drawing his attention back to her. "Welcome to your coronation."

Prince Bastian of Nereus, son of Triton Augustus, swam past his mother and placed his hand on the trident that awaited him. He lifted the heavy weapon and greeted his people with a steady voice. The ocean warmed around him, and even though he had not slept, he felt suddenly refreshed. Every word of his oath came to mind easily as he recited it, and he meant every one of them.

"I will protect this clan with all the power given to me by the goddess Selene. I will lead you, my people, forward towards prosperity. I will rule with wisdom and fairness in all things. I will be your shield, your champion and your guardian!"

His oath completed, Melodia moved forward with the crown in her hands and when she placed the crown upon his head, it settled heavily into his hair. With the crown came the burden of leadership and the responsibility to nurture his people. He looked out to the crowd, lifted the trident above himself with both hands, and cried out.

"I am your Triton!" 

The Naiads lifted their voices in harmonious song. Around them, the ocean filled with magic that built and rolled until it crashed outwards from the gathered merpeople in an unstoppable wave. It would carry their song far and wide, for all who lived in the ocean to hear.

"Hail Triton Bastian! Long live the Triton!" 

For a moment, Bastian felt happy. The coronation was complete, he was the Triton, and nothing terrible had happened. 

A scream rent the water, sending chills down Bastian's spine as he whipped around to search the water for the noise. Then it came again, a shrill woman's voice, full of panic. 

Just one word.

"Selach!" 

Chaos erupted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note:

Hello all my lovelies!! I hope you're having a fantastic day and I thank you for bearing with me. I know Arsenius dropped a heck of a bomb on Bastian in the previous chapter, and it will be addressed shortly, but the coronation is important too.

I hope you can feel the quest coming, because soon we will have a merry little adventure with some twists and turns and some new characters for you guys to love/hate/love and hate. Thank you for continuing to read Bastian's Song. It means the world to me. <3