[ 15 ]

"Bast, are we seriously considering this...the idea of...are we really going to escape instead of fight?" Zareb's tail twitched anxiously as he continued to grip his weapon tight. 

Lachlan narrowed his eyes in Ambrosia's direction. Varya stared openly at Bastian, waiting to hear what he said. The water was heavy with tension.

Bastian nodded. 

"What Ambrosia says is truthful. If I fight Arsenius, there is a good chance I will lose. If I lose, Varya will be killed and the possibility of peace will die with her. The stakes are too high, Zareb."

Bastian tightened his grip on his trident. "Lachlan, you know the city best of all of us. We need a way to sneak out unseen."

Even though Lachlan looked like he wanted to object, he only nodded his head. "I think I know of a way. But it will take me some time to gather provisions."

Ambrosia nodded and smiled. "In the meantime, I think it best if you put Varya under lock with mister big and brawny over there." She waved a hand in Zareb's direction. "We have to make it look like you will stay and fight, so do whatever is necessary to maintain that image."

Zareb bared his fangs at Ambrosia, and his tail bunched up in preparation to launch himself at her. Bastian observed his best friend and subtly moved between the two. Everyone present understood his silent message: Ambrosia is under my protection.

Zareb forced himself to relax and then turned to Varya. "Follow me. I'll take you to the Dome." He glanced back at Lachlan. "You can pick us up on the way out of the city, Lachlan."

The green-tailed merman gave a small salute and then turned to Bastian. "Bast, I'll sing for you when it's time. You still have the arm band, don't you?"

"Of course," Bastian's eyes warmed at the memory of the gift. Lachlan had given both Zareb and Bastian enchanted arm bands for their thirtieth hatching days. Each of the bands had been sung over and now Lachlan's magic allowed them to receive his voice whenever he sang the right song. 

"Good. When you hear it, go to your father's old office. I'll meet you there." His green eyes slid over to Ambrosia. "I guess you should bring her too, if she's coming along." Lachlan didn't sound pleased about it.

Ambrosia fluttered her eyelashes at Lachlan in response. "We'll be there."

Lachlan turned and swam out of the throne room, following Zareb and Varya. When it was just Bastian and Ambrosia, she stopped smiling. 

"I know this is all a bit much to take in," her voice was soft and full of sympathy, "but you are doing the right thing. It's in the best interest of your people."

Bastian reached out and took her hand in his, feeling the warmth of her smooth skin. Raising her hand to his mouth, he pressed a gentle kiss to Ambrosia's knuckles. 

"Thank you, Ambrosia. I think your counsel will be invaluable to me on this journey." Bastian released her hand and watched as she held it close to her chest. A blush stole over the tips of her ears and her nose.

"We should get ready." Ambrosia peeked at him through her pink hair. "We have a long way to go. Probably."

They left the throne room together.

~~~~~

Militum was waiting for him when he got back to his rooms. As Triton, Bastian knew he didn't technically have to answer anyone. That fact did not preserve him from the guilt of having brushed his mother aside so easily earlier in the day. He had no doubt that was the reason Militum had come to see him.

The blonde warrior bowed to Bastian. "I request an audience with the Triton," his low voice rumbled into the water. To Bastian, it sounded like he was being reprimanded.

"Audience granted." Bastian entered his room and set his trident against the wall. It was ceremonial more than anything, and the weight of it was more than he was used to. Militum followed and closed the door behind him.

"Permission to speak freely, Triton."

Bastian deflated. His lack of sleep caught up to him and he settled onto the comfort of his sleeping bunk. He lifted his hands to rub his face and sighed. "Permission granted, Militum."

It took less than five seconds for Militum to speak his mind. "I would like to be your champion against Prince Arsenius."

Bastian looked up, his mouth gaping open. "What?"

Militum's face was stoic. "You heard me, Bastian. I would fight Arsenius on your behalf. If you would allow it."

Now Bastian shook his head. "Militum, that's not how this works." He held up his hand, palm facing away from himself. On the inside of his wrist was a small, full moon that glowed a faint silver. 

"When a son of Triton challenges another for the throne, we are the only ones who can fight. The idea is that we are fighting to prove which of us Selene has blessed to rule the Naiads." Bastian lowered his wrist to his lap.

"I don't know what it's like for the Undine, Militum, but this is something only I can do." He smiled at his carrier. "Thank you, though. For the offer. It means a lot."

Now Militum deflated, his shoulders hunching over and his face covered with disappointment. "Oh." He seemed older when his back wasn't perfectly straight. "I see."

Bastian nodded. "You should go be with Mother, Militum. Keep her from doing anything...drastic."

Militum grimaced. "Bastian, please promise me that you will be careful. Arsenius is powerful."

For a moment, Bastian wanted to tell Militum that he wasn't going to face Arsenius at all. He opened his mouth to spill everything to his carrier. The glint of the light off his trident stopped him. 

This was his decision, and he would have to live with the consequences of it. It was bad enough he'd dragged Zareb and Lachlan into this mess. If he told Militum about his plans, Militum would tell Melodia and then they would both be involved. Possibly even in danger.

Bastian smiled. "I promise, Militum, I'll be very careful."

Militum bowed and left Bastian to his own thoughts. Sleep claimed the Triton for the next several hours, until his arm band began to glow green in the darkening water. 

"Bastian, it's time."

His golden eyes opened and he slid out of his bed. Time to go broker peace with the Selachs

Time to end this war.

~~~~~~~~~

Author's Note:

I am so sorry about the slow update guys! To be honest, this was a hard chapter to write and I spent a lot of time deleting things that just didn't feel right. Now I think we're moving in the right direction!

Up next: escape from Nereus! Anyone want to take bets on which merperson(s) sing(s) their own theme song?

Also, fun fact: today is my birthday!!! :D