[ 24 ]

"Yes, but how? If I use my gem to light up the water, then whatever is making that light will see us too!" Ambrosia had a point, and Bastian purposefully held his tongue so that his immediate response would not be born of panic.

He reminded himself that panic would lead to rash decisions that would likely get him and Ambrosia killed. Bastian knew better. The Triton watched the light move for a few seconds while his mind raced through the possibilities. Whatever the source of the light was, it was definitely growing closer. The light moved side to side, and the pace was steady as a heartbeat. Precious seconds ticked by and Bastian found his thoughts drifted the longer he stared at the lights.

Blue was such a calming color. Why should he be so worried about the light? Light was a welcome reprieve from all the darkness around him. Light meant safety and other people. 

Ambrosia shook Bastian. "Bastian, stop looking at it. It's a lure." Her voice seemed far away and unimportant. She began to shake him harder, until her claws actually dug into his skin. "Hey! Seriously, focus!" The sharp sting of pain drew Bastian out of his daze and he shook his head.

"Sorry," he muttered sheepishly. For some reason, he found it hard to focus, but he knew he had to. "We don't have a lot of options. I say we try to stay out of its way, and hope it doesn't see us. Once it's gone, we might be able to actually think of a plan." 

"Sounds like a plan. A risky one, but I don't see any other way." Ambrosia released her tight grip on him and took his hand. Together, they swam in the direction they thought was 'up'. Even though most of Bastian's breathing was done through his gills, he still held his breath as the lights drew close enough to see clearly.

A ghostly pale creature swam below them, its face a jumbled mess of unaligned fangs and grotesque eyes that were milky white. An odd number of fins stuck out of its body, seemingly at random, and its tail was vaguely whale-like, though the more delicate fins used for precise turning were all ragged and full of holes. Whatever it was, Bastian prayed it didn't notice them because it was twice the length of him.

Ambrosia's fingers tightened over his hand. Then the creature was gone, swimming away as calmly as it had arrived. Either the beast had not seen them, or it was not interested in eating them. Bastian let out a low breath of relief as the lights grew further apart from them.

Ambrosia moved closer to him. "Okay, you ready? I'm only going to use my gem for the shortest time that I can." Bastian nodded before he remembered Ambrosia couldn't see it. 

"I'm ready. Light the way, Ambrosia." A small circle of dim light came slowly into sight. As Bastian focused on the circle, it grew brighter and Ambrosia was revealed by the soft golden light that emanated from the jewel around her neck. Her vitae gem flowed brightly enough to illuminated three hands out from her in all directions. She blinked at Bastian and shook her head as though to clear it.

"Pick a direction and let's go." Her vitae gem pulsed and Bastian suddenly felt the urge to dive further down. He hesitated a single moment and then pulled Ambrosia down with him. Bastian's tail moved powerfully through the water and they traveled quickly, but there was no sense of time aside from the ache in their muscles.

Ambrosia began to lag behind him and Bastian's breathing grew labored. Finally, he stopped and relaxed his muscles. The soft light faded as Ambrosia put her vitae gem to sleep once more. Blackness surrounded them, and it was difficult to tell if it was any lighter than the blackness that had surrounded them when they started their journey.

Without prompting, Ambrosia moved back into Bastian's lap and faced the opposite direction from him. If anything lit up the water again, they would not be left vulnerable in this position. For a few minutes, neither of them spoke. They only caught their breath and tried not to pass out.

"How long do you think we were asleep?" Bastian  finally broke the silence.

"Too long," Ambrosia replied with a bitter tone. "I don't know if we will make it at this rate. We don't have any food." On cue, Bastian's stomach growled fiercely. 

"Well, we could always try to track down that glowy  thing again." Even though it looked like it tasted awful, Bastian would at least try it. Somehow, though, he found the idea of making Ambrosia try it to be repugnant. Ambrosia deserved better than creepy glow fish.

Indeed, she seemed to agree, because she slapped his tail with her own. "You realize that with our luck, that thing is probably poisonous, right?" Bastion grinned. She wasn't wrong.

"Are you ready to move again?" 

She sighed. "I suppose. There isn't much light left in my gem though." A part of Bastian felt ridiculously certain that the gem would last them long enough. Perhaps Selene was watching over them. He couldn't think of another reason why he would be so confident, given the circumstances. 

Ambrosia light up the water once more. Together, they swam. Time seemed frozen. Bastian felt his body grow heavier and heavier. He strained downward. The vitae gem faded and finally sputtered out.

Ambrosia stopped. "Oh gods," her voice came out as a choked whisper. Bastian turned to her, horrified at the thought that he had drained her gem and they still weren't safe. She had given up the last remaining part of her father, and what had they gotten for it?

Yet, even as he turned, the faint sound of a familiar voice singing a familiar song reached his ears. 

Bastian's arm band glowed green. "Lachlan?"

~~~~

Author's note:

Dun dun duuuuun. The adventure continues! As always, thank you lovelies for reading. Lemme know what you think in the comments.