[ 11 ]

Bastian turned and gave orders to the warriors who had trailed behind Arsenius. They formed a circle around Varya as she quietly dismissed her sharks to the edges of the city. The pet sharks swam away slowly, as though they begrudged leaving her behind.

"At least bind her!" Arsenius' tail was twitching crazily, and his jaw clenched as soon as he'd spoken. 

Bastian hesitated. She was one person and no matter how powerful she was, she was surrounded by enemies. If he put her in chains, she might be offended, or her safety might be at risk. Arsenius was barely holding his blood-lust in check, and if he snapped, chains would reduce Varya's ability to defend herself.

On the other hand, binding her might keep Arsenius from going mad, and it was a relatively small price to pay for peace of mind. Bastian looked to Varya. "I am sorry to do this, Varya, as you are a guest here in my home." 

He watched her tense up. "But it is a precaution against further violence." Bastian glanced to Zareb, who moved forward. "Warrior Zareb here is someone I would trust with my life. I ask that you entrust him with your safety for the time being, along with myself. If any should dare to lift a fin against you, then he will guard you with his own being." 

Zareb gently reached out and took Varya's wrists into his hands before uttering a binding. Varya's mouth lifted into a snarl, showing her sharp teeth, but she did not resist.  When he removed his hands, a set of cuffs bound with a short chain rested where his fingers had been. 

Arsenius slumped a little, his twitching becoming less evident. Bastian gave Zareb a small smile of thanks and turned to lead the way back to the palace. The warriors moved ahead of him, clearing the remaining citizens from the water and asking them to go back to their homes. 

When they arrived back at the dais, Melodia rushed forward to grab Bastian by the shoulders. "Are you hurt? What happened?" 

"Mother!" Bastian blushed. "I'm fine." He shrugged out of her grip, trying to maintain the dignity he'd had earlier. "We have an...unexpected guest." Bastian watched Melodia's eyes travel beyond him and settle on Varya.

For a moment, her eyes showed a blank sort of confusion, but the moment passed quickly and Melodia glanced sharply back at her only child. "What are you thinking?" She hissed at Bastian, inadvertently giving him a view of her fangs. 

"I am thinking that this Selach has come a long way, alone, to speak with me." Though he loved his mother, Bastian's voice was full of steeled determination. "And I am thinking that you have no right to tell me what to do, Mother." The last word was a subtle reminder for Melodia that she had no formal title among the clan, and she recoiled from the small jab. 

Militum moved to her side instantly and laid a gentle hand on her shoulder. "My lady, shall I accompany you to the throne room?" 

Melodia's face smoothed into a mask of perfect, expressionless calm. "Please." 

Militum turned with her and they herded the other diplomats off of the dais and into the palace proper. The throne room itself was only a short swim below the dais, and it was the most embellished room in the entire palace. Large stained glass windows filtered the light into fragmented and beautiful colors that splashed over the white coral and gold inlay that decorated the entire room.

The main attraction of the throne room rested in the exact center of the circular area: a throne of wrought gold stood at twice the height of the tallest merman, its seat covered in a pale blue cushion that would offer some comfort to the Triton. Around the throne, a pattern of gold inlay concentric rings on the floor expanded all the way to the walls. Four doors were set in the circular walls, one at each cardinal direction.