Chapter 53

Elizabeth

 “Are you well, Your Grace?”

 Elizabeth turned around to find Jamie standing in the doorway. He wore no armor. She thought she would never get used to the sight of him in ordinary clothing. If anything, then that was a sign the war had truly ended.

 She picked up her skirts and sat in the chair behind her work desk. “I am the Queen. Why should I not be happy?”

 He smiled. “Indeed.”

 She smiled back, tilting her head. “Why are you here?”

 “I have news,” he said. “And explanations.”

 “That sounds… intriguing?”

 He laughed and dragged out a chair for him to sit on. “First of all, Shakan’s ship was crushed at sea little past a year ago,” he said. “That is why his raiders never arrived for the war. A survivor says that Shakan had no means of telling you that he was leaving, for all his letters were intercepted.”

 Elizabeth frowned. “A survivor? Where is he?”

 “Not anymore,” Jamie said. “He died two days ago.”

 Elizabeth touched the rubies of her necklace. Those had been his gift for her, so many years ago. “And Shakan himself?” she asked.

 Jamie hesitated. “He may have survived,” he said. “There is no way of telling. They were close to the coast of Tibera when the ship sunk, so more raiders might have made it to land.”

 She nodded. “Thank you.”

 "Speaking of Tibera,” he continued, “Raynor is said to have crossed the border with his men. His cousin, Niccolo Lamarck, Lord of Tibera, has set up a force in Lionhall.”

 So the war is not at an end after all, she thought hollowly. She sighed. “Do we really need Tibera?”

 Jamie frowned. “I’m sorry?”

 “Do we need Tibera?” she repeated, impatient. “I was planning on giving it to Shakan anyway, and now that he is dead… well, even if he were alive, he’d have no claim to it. There is no reward for men who almost helped me, after all.”

 He looked puzzled. “You mean to give Tibera to Raynor?”

 “I mean to end this war,” she corrected. “I grow tired of death. I just want it all to end.”

 He made a quick bow. “Of course, Your Grace.”

 “Have you more news for me?”

 “Plenty,” he said. “There is a letter from Caterina. It seems she has just arrived in Brightsnow.”

 Caterina had left the capital the day of the trial. After Samuel’s testimony, there had been no need for her, and without Evelyn the princesses had been left helpless.

 He handed her the letter and she skimmed it through, a frown growing as she reached the end. “She invites us to the coronation of King Robert and Queen Anne of Noweria.” Elizabeth looked up at Jamie. “Why is her sister becoming Queen? Didn’t she want that for herself?”

 He looked as surprised as her. “I did assume that was what she wanted, but now that I think of it, she never told us that explicitly.”

 She reread the letter hastily. “But why would she give her kingdom to her sister?”

 “I don’t know, but I suppose you can ask her at the coronation,” Jamie said. “Besides, it changes nothing for you.”

 She smiled and put down the letter. “I suppose you’re right.”