Chapter 49

Angelique

 It had taken a while for the troops to get used to the shield wall tactic, which had led to a few defeats. Recently, however, they seemed to have become more accustomed with it and the results had been immediate.

 “What do I do if I win the battle?” Elizabeth asked. She wore one of the layered, white dresses that she brought with her from Hi’taab. This one was lighter in the material than what she had worn in the North, and she no longer wore skins and leggings to keep warm. The capital was warm enough to wear it as it was supposed to; falling light and nearly translucent around her, the back open to the sun’s light.

 “You take the throne,” Caterina said. “It is symbolic for your victory that you take over the place from where the King kept his court and instated his power.”

 Elizabeth nodded. “And then they will accept me?”

 “Then you will try to make them accept you,” Caterina corrected.

 Asha entered. She wore armor and was followed closely by Equem and the Shadow. “It is time,” she said.

 Caterina stood up, said a simple courtesy and left the temple to lead her part of the army around the castle. They took cover in the forest that almost circled the capital city completely, and would not emerge until the very last second.

 Jamie stood up, too. “I should probably go as well.”

 Elizabeth grabbed his hand. “Please. How will I make them accept me?”

 He disentangled himself from her grasp and took her hand. “You’ll make them love you, as you have made everyone love you so far.”

 Angelique watched the way he grasped Elizabeth’s hand and recognized the pained looks in his eyes. Then she smiled.

 "I can’t make everyone love me,” Elizabeth said.

 “You have so far,” he said.

 Angelique stood up. “We should go, Jamie.”

 He nodded and looked at Elizabeth. His eyes were those of a man leaving for a voyage on sea, a man unsure if he would ever see land again and so he watched the port for as long as he could, trying to burn the vision to his memory.

 “By the time this day is over, you might be Queen,” he said.

 “And not a beggar queen,” she replied with a smirk.

 He let out a short, reminiscent laughter before leaving the tent.

 “Do you think we will win?” Elizabeth asked as Angelique started to walk out.

 Angelique took a moment to think. “Nothing is certain, but I think so.”

 “Then can’t you stay?” There was a pleading tone in Elizabeth’s voice. “Can’t you let the men fight this one?”

 Angelique shook her head. “This is the greatest battle of them all. I can’t miss it.”

 “It’s also the most dangerous of them all.”

 She smiled. “That’s the point.”

 Elizabeth nodded, reluctant to accept Angelique’s decision. “Don’t die,” she said. “Without you, I can’t do this.”

 “I won’t,” Angelique promised.

 Outside, the hushed noises of men putting on their armor and horses neighing and tripping around, made anxious by the anticipation in the air, were all that was heard. Ishmael caught up with her.