Chapter 50

Adrianne

 Adrianne turned away from the window and looked at her daughters. Evelyn sat in the corner, speaking in a hushed voice with Amalia, who had become a center of the social life, and some other ladies who were equally valued. Helena seemed to be trying to read, but her eyes kept flickering to the window.

 The doors opened and Mary came in, followed by some other ladies. They had been to the chapel to pray.

 “Sit with me,” Adrianne asked.

 Mary sat on the chair beside her mother. She looked pale. “How is it going, do you think?”

 “It’s hard to say. It might take hours.”

 Mary nodded, but said nothing.

 “How was your trip to Tibera?” Adrianne tried to make her voice cheerful.

 “You wish to speak of that? Now?”

 Adrianne could tell that her daughter was shocked. She had not expected anything else. “Why not? I would like to hear what you have to say about it.”

 “Well,” Mary began, “isn’t it more natural, under the circumstances, to speak of the men dying to keep us alive?”

 Adrianne took her hand and said, “Nature is a terrible place. We are blessed to sometimes be able to see above it.”

 Mary still seemed uncertain when she spoke. “I think Lady Celeste must have loved her husband very dearly. She seemed almost dying herself,” she began, “but her son, Niccolo - I suppose now it is Lord Niccolo - he was very kind to me.”

 Adrianne smiled. “Your father sometimes considered marrying the two of you.”

 Mary blushed, and Adrianne’s smile grew knowingly. “I don’t think I would’ve minded that.”

 “Perhaps when this is all over, you two will be married.”

 Mary smiled.

 “Now go to your sisters.”

 Adrianne watched Mary sit down beside Helena. For a moment longer, she lingered in her seat, reluctant to stand up. Yet she knew she had to.

 Outside of the doors, a dozen men stood guard. Amongst them was Raymond.

 “Your Majesty,” he said, “you should stay in the tower.”

 “I will, but I need my doctor,” she said, holding the door open behind her as a token that she was not going anywhere.

 Raymond frowned. “Your doctor?”

 “Ambrose.” She nodded. “He is the royal physician. He lives in the castle, so I do believe you should be able to find him.”

 “I’ll try.”

 She thanked him and went back into the tower. Not long thereafter, Raymond fetched her and brought her to a smaller chamber. Inside, Ambrose waited.

 Once the door had closed behind her, she rushed to him and he pulled her into her arms. His warmth managed to calm her, but with her guard down, she began to cry. That only made him hug her tighter and she reveled the closeness.

 “How is it going?” she asked.

 He seemed to be considering something. “Not well,” he said finally.

 “Is there a chance we’ll win?”

 He swallowed deeply. “I don’t think so. We’d lost too many men by the time the shield wall was broken and…” He trailed off.