Chapter 61

Sybil

 The court seemed overfilled on this day. Of course, it was not just any day where you could stay home without missing much. No, this day was special, and so lords and ladies alike dragged themselves out of their warm beds in spite of the cold of winter.

 “It is not just the beginning of the New Year, but the beginning of an era,” Anne told her excitedly that morning. “Queen Elizabeth will be appointing the new councilmen today, and George told me that she will most likely favor his family.”

 Sybil forced herself to smile. She was happy for her newly wed sister, of course she was. Still, it was hard to watch even her closest of friends and family rise to fortune when she remained in the dust.

 The whisperings of the courtiers felt loud, magnified by the amount of them, but they all quieted when the Queen entered. She wore a simple dress, as always, and her hair was down rather than up in some complicated hairdo. She sat upon the throne and looked over the court.

 “My lords, my ladies,” she began, in her pleasing tone of voice. “Most of you know the reason for why I called court today. In these first months of my rule, I have had time to think of some changes that will be necessary for my rule. First of all, as Queen, I have no need for a King’s Council, which is why I have decided to remove it.”

 “She can’t,” Anne whispered beneath her breath. There were many such whisperings from all over the throne room.

 “Instead,” Elizabeth continued, raising her voice above the muttering, “I will be creation a new council. It will be called the Small Council of the Crown. It will consist of a few offices that need always be filled. Other than that, councilmen can be appointed if I believe their council to be of value.”

 Anne’s eyes were wide. “This is all different, so different.”

 Sybil hushed her. “I want to hear it.”

 Elizabeth called forth a number of lords. Sybil recognized Lord Nicholas Rousseau and Ishmael, though she had seen most of them before.

 “I don’t recognize that many,” Anne muttered. She was visibly disappointed not to see any of her in-laws being called forward.

 Sybil shrugged. “It makes sense that she wouldn’t want men who are devoted to the old rule.”

 Anne frowned, her eyes narrowing as she watched the row of men - six men, Sybil counted - kneel down before the Queen. “What does not make sense is that she has appointed no women,” Anne said. “After all, she is a Queen Regent. Surely, she would want to send a signal that she will not let men rule her.”

 Elizabeth stood up and took the ceremonial sword that a servant handed to her on a pillow of red. It seemed awkward in her hands - as though it did not quite fit in the grasp of her short fingers. She walked to one end of the line.

 “Lord Nicholas Rousseau,” she began, placing the flat edge of the sword on his shoulder, “I appoint you Lord President of the Small Council.”

 Then she walked a few steps to the right. “Master Ishmael, I appoint you Lord Secretary as well as Keeper of the Faith.”

 The next man was someone Sybil had never seen before. “Lord Henry Baldwin,” Elizabeth said and Sybil detected a reaction from Anne, “I appoint you Lord High Chancellor.”

 Anne leaned over and whispered in Sybil’s ear, “He’s an idealist. Last month, he sent out a pamphlet where he explained why a woman should be able to rule equal to a man. I suppose that’s why the Queen favors him.”