Chapter 34

Raynor

 Raynor’s table was always very neat. On it, he had only the most needed of things: quills and ink, one even pile of documents that he needed to look through, a pile of letters that he had yet to read, and a candle that he never used, because his table was placed beneath a window and he preferred the light of the sun when he worked. Even now, far past midnight, he did not want to light it. The moon was full and illuminated the room well enough. That the words on the paper in front of him seemed to melt together was something he blamed on his tiredness rather than a lack of light.

 The letter was too long, too full of petty accusations, but Raynor had to read it. As Evelyn and his mother had both made clear, this particular lord had been of great assistance during the rebellion and he deserved the courtesy of the King actually reading his pleas.

 “And, of course,” he muttered tiredly to himself, rubbing his eyes, “he is too close to Brightsnow for us to offend him.”

 The door behind him opened, allowing in a beam of warm, yellowy light. He turned around to find Sybil standing in the door, looking as though she had just awoken from bed. “Husband,” she said, followed by a yawn.

 “Shouldn’t you be asleep?”

 She smiled. “I’m sorry,” she muttered. “I just had a nightmare.”

 He frowned. “What kind?”

 Dismissively, she shrugged and walked further into the room, the door falling closed behind her. “I do not remember much of it, but it involved your heir and a large wolf,” she told him.

 “It was only a dream,” he reassured her, going back to his letter.

 ”Who do you meet with when you go to the city?” Sybil asked, circling Raynor’s chair. He looked up at her. Her hair was loose and trailed down her back, and she was wearing only her nightshift.

 “Just some friends,” he said. “People who are of common beliefs.”

 She reached for his shoulder, rubbing it. Her other hand supported the swell of her belly. She looked more beautiful than ever, now that she was carrying his child. I could almost love her like this, he thought.

 “And what beliefs are they?”

 He rested his hand atop hers. “People who do not believe that there should be a King. People who believe that the people should hold the power.”

 She frowned. “And how would that work?”

 He let out a sigh. “I don’t know yet,” he admitted. “The idea is that there should be a new council. We’d divide the kingdom into sections, and each section would choose a council member, and then the council would have a certain amount of power over the King.”

 Sybil tilted her head and, for a moment, she looked almost worried. “Who are these people?”

 “I told you. Just some friends.”

 She bit her lip, stepping closer to him. “And you’re sure they are not using you? You are the King, Raynor. Are you sure they are not simply looking to overthrow you?”

 “Of course they are.” He took her hands in his. “Did you not hear what I said? They do not believe in monarchy.” Her jaw tightened visibly. “Don’t you think it’s wrong, for one man to have the power over thousands? I can’t possibly know what every single one needs.”

 She looked uncertain. “Does anyone from court know about this?”

 “Jonathan Baker and Nicholas Rousseau,” he replied. Jonathan had been very interested, to no surprise, and Nicholas followed wherever Jonathan went.