Chapter 15

Asha

 The capital seemed smaller than it had the first time she arrived there, and less magnificent. She wondered if it was solely because of her own growing or because of that she now knew what that magnificence covered up.

 A rider came out from the main gates to greet them. Asha had sent a letter for the King, telling him of her visit, and he had replied that he would be happy to host her for a few nights. The rider dismounted his horse and the Shadow led him to Asha.

 “My lady,” he greeted. “His Grace, the King, sends you his regards and opens his gates for you. He says he has cleared apartments with space for twelve people including yourself on the west wing.”

 She nodded and turned to Equem. “Collect nine guards for me. I’ll bring you and the Shadow with me.”

 She noticed Hiram shifting anxiously, but when Equem eyed the man everyone knew to be her lover, she just nodded her head to tell him that she had meant what she said. Hiram would be of no use to her within the capital. Whatever diplomatic skills he had, they were rendered worthless in comparison to a well-wielded knife that might very well become the only thing that separated life from death – especially if the royal family had caught one of her letters to lady Caterina.

 The King and Queen and their five children awaited on the steps to the main entrance. It was easy to pick out the oldest; he had dark hair, like the King, but his eyes were neither Lamarck nor Turell. She supposed it could have come from further up their lines. Dark eyes had a habit of appearing suddenly in one generation, and then disappear.

 Asha did a deep curtsey before the King, muttering a, “Your Grace,” to his boots.

 "Stand straight, my lady,” he ordered with a familiarity that did not surprise her. He had never been one for keeping to the rigid formalities of his kingdom. Once she stood straight, she was met with his warm smile. “You have grown beautiful,” he complimented.

 She nodded courteously and dug forth the manners she had been taught what seemed an eternity ago. “Thank you, Your Grace.”

 The King then turned to his Queen and they began walking back into the castle. Asha followed them, walking behind them until Adrianne slowed her pace to speak to her.

 “How long do you plan to stay?” the Queen asked.

 Asha thought it over for a moment. “Just a couple of days, Your Grace. I wouldn’t want to exploit your hospitality.”

 Adrianne’s pleasant smile made her face look younger and for a moment she looked like her younger self. She was no longer just a pretty girl, Asha noted; age had taken that from her. Though she was not as pretty, she had grown and become a true beauty. “You wouldn’t be exploiting,” she said reassuringly. “And stop that ‘Your Grace’ nonsense. I’ve grown rather tired of it, and I was hoping you wouldn’t be so courteous.”

 She smiled in return. “I will make it a point to be disrespectful in the future.”

 “Thank you,” Adrianne said, and beneath the humour was real gratitude. “Now, is it true what I hear? That you bring jaguars?”

 The breathless awe made her smile. “Four of them.”

 “Four?”

 “That’s right.”

 Adrianne’s wide eyes were fixed on Asha’s face, as if trying to detect a lie somewhere. “You will have to bring them to the castle,” she insisted.

 “One of them,” Asha said. “It would be too much of a trouble to bring more.”

 “One is by far enough.” She slowed down and came to a stop with the rest of those who had followed. “I assume you are tired from your travel. Your chambers are just up the stairs.”