Escaping The White Prison.

This chapter is a little bit shorter but the next one will be way longer, promise!

"Is she awake?"

"She seems to be, but let's just keep quiet for a little while longer. We can tell her the news in a little while when she's back to herself. Don't get ahead of yourself Jim, she might not take the information well, she's been out of the loop, waking up and falling back asleep for an entire week. She'll be tired. And you've got a speech to write, haven't you?"

"Yes, sir. I want __y/n__ to help me with it, she's definitely good at voicing her opinion on controversial topics like I'll be speaking on. I-"

"Shh! She's waking up!"

You groaned, opening your eyes as you're greeted by a bright white light. You squinted, raising your hand up to prevent further blinding. You sat up slowly, your arms stiff as you propped yourself up and glanced around. You were in a hospital. You swallowed. Now where were the people...

"Morning, Sunshine." Kirk called out, smiling and walking into the room with a tray of food. You instantly frowned.

"What, is this some sort of torture facility, too? Why're you here?" You snapped, pulling the blankets up over your knees as you held them close to your chest. Kirk smiled sadly.

"I don't expect you to forgive me right away for what I did, but I'm trying. I'm trying really hard to make it up to you. While you were out for the past week I've been taking care of you. Well, after I got better."

You frowned.
"What happened to you that you had to be in the hospital?" Kirk chuckled uneasily.

"I sort of died. But that's beside the point, we're both alive, the ship is being fixed right now, and we'll be off on our five year journey after that's complete!" Kirk said, lifting up a small table to place over the bed with a snap, placing the tray of breakfast food in front of you. You didn't have the heart to tell Kirk you weren't hungry. You were too exhausted, your muscles weak.

"Hey, you alright?" Kirk asked, frowning slightly and studying your face. You smiled slightly and almost said yes, but the answer hitched in your throat as a question popped out.

"Where's Khan?" You asked, rubbing the material of the bed sheets between your thumb and index finger. You felt empty, and lost. You had someone and they were torn away from you before you even had a chance to say goodbye, and your heart ached for Khan even more.

"He's being put in cryo-sleep again with the rest of his crew later today before my speech I have to give." Kirk said quietly, sitting on the edge of the bed, the mattress sinking slightly as his weight pressed against it. You slid your legs down from your chest and laid back on the pillows, frowning.

"I'm never going to see him again, will I?"

"No. I'm sorry, __y/n__, but it's for the best. You might be able to pry for a visit a month, but I'm not sure. They're going to be keeping a close eye on those super people. It's not safe to have them in the public." Kirk breathed out, his lips pressed into a thin line. You stayed silent.

Kirk opened his mouth to speak, but closed it again, causing you to raise an eyebrow.

"Say it. Say what you were going to say, Kirk. We've known each other for forever, say what's on your mind. I'm sure I won't judge you too harshly." You teased, smiling, but you knew your eyes were full of sadness. You could feel the heavy load your heart was carrying.

"I was wondering..." Kirk started, glancing at the ground.
"I was wondering if you would want to go and get a drink sometime. You know, when this all blows over. We have a while before the Enterprise will be up and functional again, so... yea. We didn't exactly get off on the right foot when we went after Khan."

You frowned.
"Kirk, I'm sort of engaged to Khan, I don't know if you knew that-"

"Yeah, yeah, I knew that. But he'll be sleeping for the rest of your life in that tube, so... It wouldn't hurt. Would it?" He said, glancing over at you and smiling. You grumbled slightly, sitting up again and hanging your head low, studying the awful mint green gown you had on over your bra and your underwear. It was a bit revealing in the back, but Kirk wasn't behind you, so it was alright.

"I just don't know. I'll need some time." You whispered, trying not to get choked up.
"Where's Khan being held now?"

"StarFleet HQ in one of the special rooms. I don't know which number, but you could probably find out somewhere." Kirk replied a bit unhappily at your change in subject. You nodded slightly and squinted up at the bright LED light above you, the harsh rays irritating you. You didn't know why they had such blinding lights in hospital rooms. The hospital was supposed to be calming for people, not causing them to be awoken from a coma by a light fixture.

You nodded and ran a hand through your hair, tugging at a small knot.
"Can I leave the hospital today to see him?" You murmured, glancing back at Kirk's worried face. He looked positively exhausted, bags under his eyes and his skin pale. You swallowed, a bit nervous. Khan did that to him, and you loved Khan. You loved the man that hurt one of your closest friends. But you were mad at Khan, you couldn't deny that. He was an idiot, like a great deal of men.

"I'm not sure if you can leave without a doctor accompanying you." Kirk enunciated, his eyes flitting to the door to the room.

"Can you take me?" You asked, smiling slightly. Kirk sighed and clasped his hand around yours gently, his eyes closed.

"You know I completely hate Khan, correct?"

"Yes." You grumbled.

"You know that I hate that you love him?"

"Yes?" You said, a question in your voice and your eyebrows furrowed.

"But do you know that I can push those all aside and help you no matter how many bad decisions you make?" Kirk asked, his gaze trailing up to your eyes, a happy glint in his eye but not on his lips. You smiled.

"I hope so. Help me get out of this ridiculous hospital, Captain. Help me and maybe we can go get that drink." You teased, grinning.

Khan, here you come.