The Mystery Massacre.

You finally found the time and location of which Admiral Marcus asked you, after several calls, scrawled notes passed to you, and a last-minute flight. You entered the meeting room, striding over to stand by the only seat left empty, next to, now First Officer, Kirk. You heard the buzz around HQ, you weren't completely out of the loop.

You made sure to tease him about his demotion later, even though you know it would sting him a bit. You know how touchy he is about you plain insulting his ship, you didn't know how fiercely he'd react to his losing the Captain title. You earned a few turns of the head as you stood, and Admiral Marcus spoke.

"Thank you for convening on such short notice. Be seated."

Everyone sat in their respective seats, and Kirk murmured a quick hello to you as well as a rushed smirk.

"By now, some of you have heard what happened in London. The target was a StarFleet archive, now it's a damn hole in the ground. 42 men and women are dead."
The Admiral took a glance around the room, as if scanning for suspects.

"One hour ago I received a message from a StarFleet officer who confessed to carrying out this attack, saying that he was being forced to do it by this man."

Images of a familiar man popped up on the screen. The crazed man from earlier... Was that the reason you were here?

"Commander John Harrison. He's one of our own. He is the one responsible for these acts of savagery. For reasons unknown, John Harrison has just declared a one-man war against StarFleet. And under no circumstances are we to allow this man to escape Federation Space."
Marcus bent over the desk, surveying the faces of the men and women at the table in front of him.

"You here tonight represent the senior command of all the vessels in the region. And in the name of all those we lost, you will run this bastard down." Marcus seethed through his teeth.

"This is a manhunt, pure and simple, so lets get to work." He sat back, and continued.

"Earth's perimeter sensors have not detected any warp signatures so we know he can't be..."

You zoned off, noticing Kirk paying extremely close attention to the still photographs on the screen in front of himself. You glanced down at your screen, and decided to scroll as well, what Admiral Marcus said didn't concern you, after all, you were only a Lieutenant. You scrolled through a few photos until you found the one with John Harrison in it.

You zoomed in on the man's face and smiled slightly. He wasn't bad looking when he look determined, and you bet even Spock would attempt a flirt with this guy. You shuddered. Maybe not. That wasn't an image you wanted, and anyways, Spock was a robot, and he was dating someone. You still had to learn her name, but you knew her face. She was beautiful, something you never imagined Spock ever receiving with his whole "statue" image. You heard whispering as you sifted through your thoughts, but brushed it to the back of your mind.

"Chris? Everything okay over there?" Admiral Marcus interrupted your thoughts, and you turned to look at Admiral Pike.

"Yes, sir. Mr. Kirk was just acclimating to his new position as first officer."

Ouch. Way to open a fresh wound, Pike.

"You got something to say, Kirk? Say it today, tomorrow's too late."

"I'm fine sir. My apologies." Kirk stated, but you saw him itch to murmur it under his breath. He was being put on the spot and wasn't enjoying it, what a first.

"Spit it out, son. Don't be shy."

"Why the archive?"
James motioned towards the screen.
"All that information is public record. If he really wanted to damage StarFleet, this could just be the beginning." He said, glancing over at Admiral Pike momentarily and then locked eyes with Admiral Marcus.

"The beginning of what?"
Admiral Marcus seemed eager for a fight, and you picked that up. It seemed... A bit off.

"Sir, in the event of an attack, protocol mandates that senior command gather captains and first officers at StarFleet HQ, in this room..." Kirk trailed off and your eyes widened. You hoped what he was saying wasn't true, what he was suggesting.

"It is curious that..."

A loud rumbling came from the windows behind you, and red light filled the room. Your instincts screamed at every nerve in your body, every fast-twitch cell you had in you. Run.

"CLEAR THE ROOM!"

Guns shattered the glass as screams rang through your ears. You scrambled for safety, whimpering as screaming and shouting never stopped, pleas of help echoing around you as you crawled on the ground, dragging yourself behind a pillar and panting, the guns piercing the screams even. You scowled. No. You were not going to hide. There's no way that some handsome guy can fire on my friends and get away alive. You snatched a gun from a dead guard's hands, standing up and letting loose and shooting anything that resembled a giant flying ship. You shattered glass, glaring at the man in the seat of the vessel. John Harrison made eye contact with you and a flash of sadness crossed his eyes before he turned back into his monotonous gaze, breaking eye contact.

You dropped the gun as it clattered to the ground, wide-eyed. Dear god, was a criminal sorry about hurting my friends? No, it couldn't be. You ran down the halls, away from the fighting, away from your fears, away from Harrison. No, why did you have to be there? Why couldn't you just have heard about it later and not been involved? And Kirk- Kirk was back there! James Tiberius Kirk was the closest thing to a friend you had, you couldn't let him die. But you couldn't watch him die either. Your legs failed under you, and you collapsed to the ground, your body wracked with sobs. No, why you? WHY? Kirk was most likely dead, and Spock too. Oh, if Spock was dead! Any other day you'd probably laugh and say "Good Riddance", but no. Today, right now, you'd give anything for a stupid statement to come out of that stupid half-Vulcan's mouth.

You suddenly felt woozy, and everything went black.

You could've sworn you felt someone pick you up, but... It must've been your imagination.

No one cared that much for you.