Holding Out For A Hero [Chapter Three]

Authour's Notice: Hello fantastic readers! As you can see, it's another Monday upload. I'm going away tonight and won't be able to upload Friday .. For the next two weeks. So today's upload will have to sastisfy you until I return. Now, I normally don't do this but because I'm going away I thought I'd test it. If I get fifteen comments on this chapter while I'm away, I will upload the day after I return. Even if it isn't a Friday. Sound good? That's all I have to say, enjoy! 

-----------------------------------------------|

 Chapter Three

Genevieve’s POV

My butt had yet to remain comfortably planted on the hay covered floor I was sitting on. The driver obviously hadn’t realized that the back highway wasn’t used often. The road was littered with potholes and cracks, making the journey from Jackson Point treacherous. Even with the loud bass of music pounding from my own headphones and the beat of the driver’s horrible country music coming from the actual truck, I could still hear his curses and groans every time the trailer bounced.

Dancer, as I had come to call the horse, was taking the ride just like me. He was lying down after colliding head first with the wall after an especially large bump. He seemed to be okay, good thing to. It was clear he was a racer, he had muscles bulging everywhere. His legs were long and toned, his eyes looked smart.

I found myself wishing for a seatbelt like the driver had. Even though I hated them just driving to the store with my Mom, now I understood why they were the law. The bounces made less of an impact on the driver than they did on me. Without a seat belt I had nothing to hold me securely in place when the truck hit a pothole. Having to brace my hands on the walls around me to keep from smashing my head was rough on arms that had no muscles.

I was annoyed and tired. I had tried to rest my eyes for a small amount of time but the cracks in the roads didn’t help. Every time the truck lurched my eyes would snap open and sleep would be gone. Annoyance came from the same feeling. Being lurched around second after second was not desirable.

The truck driver hadn’t come into the trailer where I was hiding. He had simply checked the latch, popped his head in for moments, and than shut the door, closing the latch securely. My heartbeat slowed when the engine rumbled to life.

We had been on the road for nearly an hour now. The drive to Raleigh from Jackson Point was three hours and forty five minutes. There wasn’t much I could do to entertain myself. Aside from the few games I had on my iPod and the endless choices of music, I was having some trouble finding a song I actually wanted to listen to. Out of the four games my iPod held, Tetris was the only game I ever played. But after an hour, Tetris didn’t capture my attention anymore.

Boredom had settled in. There wasn’t a thing for me to do. Sleep wouldn’t come with the potholes on the road rattling my body every time my eyes closed. Drawing would be pointless and a waste of paper I had brought with me. Reading was impossible when in motion, I’d become nauseated in no time.

I jumped up from my perch on the floor with an aggravated sigh. Dancer looked up uninterestedly but dropped his head back down realizing it was just me. I wasn’t going to sit around and do nothing for three hours, I’d be miserable. Carefully holding my balance as the truck rattled, I approached Dancer with my hands in the air. I dropped to my knees beside him and crawled up to his side where I curled up in a ball and used his neck as a pillow. Satisfied, I pulled a blanket from my kit bag, wrapping it around my body. Even though the truck rattled, and tossed me around on the floor, I didn’t move as much as before. I could get some sleep.