Holding Out For A Hero [Chapter Seventeen]

Authour's notice: Hey guys, I guess I should start off by apologizing for letting nearly 7 months go by before updating this story. I won't make excuses, but my life has certainly gotten much busier then it was when I first started writing here on Wattpad. I'm going to try my very hardest to make sure 7 months don't go by again before I upload another part of this story, so I hope this chapter is worth the wait .. 

-----------------------------------------

Chapter Seventeen

Genevieve’s POV

            We pulled up in front of a dark gray brick building where the front lawns were clustered with chatting teenagers. The school appeared to be a happy place rather than a prison like my old school back in Jackson Point. With the lushly green vines that grew up the side and the southern birch trees that hung over a large field of opulent grass, it looked well kept. Yet it still managed to look intimidating.

The looks people were shooting me as they walked by Beau’s huge truck and noticed a new girl sitting in the passenger’s seat frightened me all over again. I thought that the nausea bubbling in my stomach was bad that morning, but it was worse now than it had been before.

With a sweaty, shaky hand, I reached for the bottom of my seat and grasped tightly as if it was keeping me tied down. My body quivered with the fear of going into a place where I would be the center of attention. My mind was in a whirlwind. Anything that could possibly go wrong on one’s first day as the new kid was racing through my thoughts.

All I wanted was to remain in the car with country music playing, just skip out on my first day. However I knew that this is what I came here for. I travelled hours and fought against Greyson for a shot at a new school. Here I was, in a panicking mess over something I worked hard to get.

I glanced at Beau from the corner of my eye. He was sitting straight up in his seat, grinning at me. Cocking my head to the right I tried to get a better glimpse of his bright blue eyes, shaded by his longhorns ball cap. His blonde hair was curling sweetly around the deep orange. The way the burnt orange made his tanned skin flare out was wonderful.

“Beau?” I murmured, “Please don’t let me go in there by myself.”

The words simply slid off my tongue. I really hadn’t wanted to speak them out loud. I was so caught up in the way Beau looked today and by the emotions I was struggling against it hardly mattered if I didn’t want to speak them. They were out in the open now.

Swiftly I could feel the heat creeping up to my cheeks, my lips rubbing together as they shuddered. Like any other time that my easy embarrassment appeared; my eyes began to water and I had to blink to force the liquid away. 

            Beau’s face however had softened slyly at my words. His blue eyes twinkled as he shook his head.

            “Darlin’, where’d ya think I was gonna go?” Beau chuckled, easing open his door, “I won’t be far from ya today. Do ya peg me as the type to abandon someone on their first day?”

            I simply shrugged as I stared at him, seeming to be at loss for words. Not that me not speaking was uncommon. I preferred it that way, being silent and looking in. You learned a whole lot more about people that way.