Holding Out For A Hero [Chapter Two]

Authour's Notice: Hello beauties! I know starting the week with an upload is new, but the reason why is explained on my profile, this will be the only upload planned for a Monday. I have one thing to mention concerning the cover. The current one was made by me and as you can see, limited of actual book cover quality. I have a few covers in the making by people better than me but they may be a little while in the making. For the duration, mine will have to do. If you wouldn't mind me asking you to vote and comment, please do so! And if you like me enough, you may be willing to fan? Thank you so much for reading! 

-------------------------------------------------------|

Chapter Two

Genevieve’s POV

Bacon and eggs? I sniffed the air again thinking that my mind was merely playing tricks on me. Was I still asleep in my bedroom back home? Why did Mom decide to make bacon and eggs? She knew Flynn and I despised eggs. Maybe I was dreaming? After all, hadn’t I fallen asleep somewhere off the main road?

Slowly I cracked my eyes open coming face to face with the suns rays. They shone downward warmly heating the chill bumps on my arms. I turned my head to get a better look of my surroundings, trying to locate where the smell of breakfast was coming from. Underneath my body I could feel the rough surface of black pavement. Across from me was a forest of tall trees, a large green metal garbage bin sat there too with piles of stacked waste people hadn’t wanted in their homes anymore.

Sadly, it wasn’t a dream. I was definitely in the middle of nowhere. However that didn’t explain the scent of eggs.

I batted my eyes trying to clear away the sleep. However without digging away the crust that gathered in the corner of my eyes I would be unable to fully clear away the sense of fatigue. With my thumb I brushed away the crumbs, closing and opening my eyes again. Finally my mind had begun to register along with my stomach. A grumble in the pit of my tummy notified me that I hadn’t eaten since supper last night.

With a grunt I pulled my phone from the front pocket of my jeans. I took a deep breath before pressing down on the power button. I was hoping it was still early. Early enough for my family to still be sleeping. I knew if they had awakened by this time that there would be several missed calls awaiting my response. Luckily as my phone came to life there was no flashing notification of calls I had missed. I peaked at the time quickly -7:00- before powering the phone off and shoving it back into my pocket again.

I lifted myself from the uncomfortable pavement, brushing the dirt from my back. I had to get myself some food. I couldn’t go very far without any fuel, and if I was to get into the train station with a low profile, being dressed in dirty clothes and smelling like a garbage can wouldn’t help me. I had to blend in the best I could. I had to get out of Jackson Point without being recognized.

I followed the smell of bacon and eggs. Wherever the scents were coming from, there had to be other types of breakfast food. I couldn’t eat bacon and eggs without feeling nauseous. But I guess if that was the only food I could find; I’d have to deal with the sick feeling.

My nose led me to a small diner. I hadn’t been to this diner. It was established about twenty five minutes out of town. While it was clear that the place was running low on funds, there were still a couple cars parked in the parking lot. A welcoming feel floated from the open windows. I tightened my hold on the bag in my hand and started up the crumbling stairs, keeping a fake smile on my face.