Chapter 38

I didn't know how long I held him like that, or how long he was asleep. It may have been hours, but it only felt like minutes were passing by. Just laying like this with him was enough to keep me entertained for days, and when he finally let out a small sigh and his hold loosened around me I tried to ignore the disappointment.

Slowly Liam pulled himself off me and rose his torso up so that he was hovering over me, his torso propped up by his elbows. For a second he looked a little shocked at our close proximity, but then looked a little sheepish as his eyes bored into mine.

"I fell asleep." He said guilty, a small smile lifting the corner of his lips. It was unreal how angelic he looked as he did so. I had never seen his facial features so relaxed and serene.

I giggled and lifted one hand and sent it through his thick and messy hair. "Yes you did." I answered him, dropped my hand with a smile.

He yawned widely and I laughed, tousling up his hair. He shrunk away from my hand a little but continued to hold himself over me, his face a few inches away from mine. His chuckle subsided until his face was expressionless, his eyes still hooked with mine. My breath caught in my lungs once again when I realized he was lowering his face to mine.

He touched his nose to mine and I could feel his breath across my lips. "I'm sorry if that was boring for you, but I think that was the best sleep I've had in ages." He chuckled lightly, and though my mind was fogging up due to how close his lips were to mine, I managed a witty remark.

"Good, maybe you'll be less cranky for a while." I teased, grinning up at him. He narrowed his eyes playfully at me before his own smirk vanished again. His eyes swept over my face for a moment, and I wondered what he was contemplating.

His lips were so close to mine that my body actually ached to break the space between us, but as I tried to make a decision on what I should do, he pulled his face away. This time I couldn't keep my disappointment to myself and actually sighed with frustration. Liam must have taken my sigh to mean something different though because his arms locked around me and pulled me against him, my head resting on his chest this time.

"Did you sleep at all?" he asked, his lips murmuring against my ear.

I shook my head lightly. "No, I'm not sleepy." I told him truthfully, and he laid his cheek on top of my head.

He was quiet for a moment until his arms loosened from around me. "Is this... okay?" he asked hesitantly, his hands sort of hovering with uncertainty over the spot they once were wrapped around my waist.

My eyes widened a little and I lifted my head so that I could see his face. "What? This?" I asked, laying my head back down and holding myself closer to him. "This is definitely okay." I mumbled into his chest, a smile on my lips.

He arms enclosed around me again and he chuckled. "I'm glad. It feels nice to wake up to someone next to me." he purred and at that I actually laughed.

"What, would it feel as nice if you woke up to just anyone next to you? Would you feel as happy if you woke up to Jake McCubbin?" I giggled teasingly, and I heard his scowl.

"You know what I mean!" he scoffed, though he chuckled to himself after he said it.

I laughed and nuzzled my face deeper into his flannel shirt. "Yeah, I know what you mean. And it is nice." I finally agreed.

Liam fell into silence once again as he kissed the top of my head making my whole body tingle with delight. "Especially when it's you." He muttered into my hair, and I wondered if I was supposed to hear that. "Is it still as nice when you're this close to a werewolf?" he added, though his voice sounded less amused. In fact, he sounded a little sullen as he said it.