Chapter 8

The class period went by rather well. Liam and I didn't talk much, but I could feel a mutual fondness lingering between us. Maybe I was just basking in the success of finally getting him to smile, but it was a good feeling none the lass.

The bell rang and Liam left the rooms speedily like he always did, leaving me to linger behind the crowd pulsating out of the doorway. I hugged my things to my chest and walked loftily to my locker, feeding the lock its combination and then pulling it open to put my things away.

I heard a huff and I was suddenly aware that Cassie was at my side, her back pack already hanging on her shoulders. "So my fricken German teacher is an idiot and gave us a ton of homework. There goes my night of freedom." She groaned and I grimaced.

"I'm sorry Cass. Maybe you should have enrolled in a study hall so you can get it all done before you go home." I said, taking out a notebook and a pencil before shutting my locker.

"Well I took a study hall freshman and sophomore year. If I had taken one this year too, I wouldn't have enough credits. I should have waited like you." She sighed and I patted her shoulder.

However for a second her face lit up in a moment of recollection. "I have that detention today for Mrs. Sullivan! I can do my homework then!" she celebrated and I chuckled, surprised that she could be so excited about a detention.

"Good plan. Do you want me to wait until it's over, or is your mom going to pick you up?" I asked, leaning against my locker.

She shrugged. "My mom is gonna come get me. No point in you waiting around for 45 minutes when you could be at home doing better things." She chuckled, and together we set off for our classes. She was going to government and I was going to study hall, although I didn't have any homework to work on.

I walked into my classroom and saw Liam sitting alone, no one beside him. He didn't look up at me as I took the empty seat, instead he just continued on with what looked like his chemistry homework. I evened out my notebook and pencil on my desk and was happy that he didn't notice.

The bell rang and Mr. Grant came in late, sitting in his seat and picking up the paper he used for taking role. I sat quietly in my chair watching him take roll, and glanced a few times at Liam who was shuffling through a black three-ring binder. Suddenly he plucked a worksheet out from his binder and set it down on his desk, lifting his pencil and setting it to the paper.

I looked away and for a while I just stared at the ceiling, silence looming over everyone. I could hear the soft scratch of Liam's pencil against his paper, but when it paused I looked over at him. He was staring down at his chemistry homework, his brow wrinkled. "Chemistry?" I whispered and he glanced sideways at me.

"Yep." He answered, and I eyed him curiously.

"You're already taking Field Biology as a science credit though..." I trailed off in thought and he nodded his head.

"I like science." He replied and I nodded my head indifferently.

"Oh, well that's nice... do you need help?" I asked, noticing that he was still staring blankly at his paper, stuck on question number 12.

"No." he said flatly and I grinned.

"I took chemistry last year and got a 94% in the class. Let me help you." I pressed and he shook his head.

"I don't need your help." He growled under his breath, and so I just shrugged and turned my eyes back to the ceiling, smiling smugly to myself. After a moment of silence he scowled. "I just need help on number 12." He mumbled stubbornly and I tried to hold back a giggle as I turned back to him.

I looked at his paper and saw that number 12 was dealing with Significant Figures. The memory cogs in my brain began to turn as I recalled the process to solve sig. fig. chemistry problems. "Okay, so we're dealing with subtraction, so our final answer has to have the least number of sig figs in the problem. This says: 13.863 - 4.242 - 3.7, so our answer should only have two sig figs. So now we just use simple math-"

"Miss Locke, this is a study hall class not a social hour." Mr. Grant said into the silence eyeing me with a small smile.

I blushed a little. "I'm just helping Liam with some homework Mr. Grant." I vouched for myself, hearing Liam make a sound of protest.

"Shout it out why don't you?" he muttered under his breath, but I was watching Mr. Grant, who was shaking his head.

"Well you can help him later." He said and I sighed.

Turning back to my seat I propped my elbow up on the desk and rested my chin in my hand. "The answer is 5.9." I said quickly, and when I glanced at him he was staring at me, blinking blankly, and then her looked away to scribble my answer down.

Class continued and by the time 2:50 rolled around, I had my arms crossed on top of my desk, my head burrowed down into them, and my eyes closed trying to rest. The bell ran through the room and once against Liam shot for the door. I made my way to my locker and saw Cassie leaning against it, smiling vaguely.

"I'm going to text you tonight around 6. My mom and I might have strawberry daiquiri night!" she smiled, and I beamed at her.

"Awesome, just text me once you know!" I enthused and she bounced on her heels with excitement. With that she flounced off for her detention, and I put everything away in my locker, shutting it with a zealous slam. Daiquiri nights at the Mitchell's house were always a blast. Joni and Greg Mitchell, Cassie's parents, made nonalcoholic strawberry daiquiris and the four of us sit on their back porch drinking and chatting like family.

After all, the Mitchells were my family; my home away from home.

With a new pep to my step, I walked off towards the parking lot, making it to the exit doors and breaking through, sun light meeting my eyes. I was so excited about tonight that I almost didn't notice Liam, who was sitting against the brick school wall, his head back and face basking in the sun shine.

"Working on your tan?" I smirked, stopping in my tracks with my car keys jingling in my hand.

Liam's eyes fell onto mine and he scowled. "Not that it's any of your business, but I'm waiting for my ride." He scoffed and I approached him, still smiling.

"I can give you a ride home if you don't feel like waiting." I offered, but he only glared at me.

"I think I'd rather eat dirt." He said scathingly, and I held up my hands as if to surrender.

"Alright, suit yourself." I shrugged, turning on my heel. Just as I was walking away, I noticed a familiar, shiny black car pull up. I watched over my shoulder as Liam got up, walked towards it, and opened up the back seat door, the driver obviously his butler.

I made it to my car, opening it up and sitting down behind the wheel. I started the engine and drove off, glancing for a second in my rearview mirror only to see that the black car was gone. I twisted my lips and pulled out onto the main road, heading home.

----------------------------------------------------------------

vote?

comment what you think please :).