Chapter 3

"So if someone makes you smile it automatically makes you friends?"

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The class period passed by quickly with silence between Liam and me. I was so flustered by how snappy he had been with me that I didn't particularly want to say anything else to him. Although, my eyes seemed to be glued to him. It was impossible not to glance at him every once and a while. He was just too good to be true, minus the attitude.

When the bell rang I gathered my things and so did he, and without a good bye he left the class room while I got stuck behind all the other students trying to cram through the classroom door all at once. I made it out into the hallway and to my locker where I saw Cass waiting for me, her arms crossed over her chest.

"I have a detention." She groaned once I stopped in front of her, feeding my lock the combination. I popped the door open and began shoving my stuff inside, bringing out my binder and book for my government class.

I raised my eyebrows at her after I slammed the door shut. "Why?" I asked with concern, and she shrugged her shoulders; I could tell she was trying not to cry.

"Mrs. Sullivan saw me with my cell phone." She sighed and I grimaced, patting her shoulder.

"She's got a foot up her ass, Cassie. Don't let it bother you." I said, and she shrugged.

She blinked her eyes a few times and then the quiver in her bottom lip disappeared. "You look a little frazzled." She commented finally as we both set off down the hallway to our classes.

I suddenly took in a quick intake of air, grasping her arm dramatically. "There's a new kid here. His name is Liam and he is a dream boat!" I squealed a little too loudly, and a few heads turned my way.

Cassie's jaw dropped and she leaned closer to me as we walked. "No way! Do you think he's with the family that moved into the mansion?" she asked, and I shrugged.

"I dunno, but I'm betting you he is. He's got a real attitude though. He sat at my table at lunch and like didn't say anything except for his name and then he was kind of a jerk during Field Biology." I said bitterly, and she pouted.

"What a waste of good looks." She chuckled and I giggled, rolling my eyes.

"I think he's just being a little defensive because it's his first day here and he realized how much it sucks. He just needs a friend." I said, and a smirk pulled up Cassie's lips.

"Are you going to try to recruit him?" she joked and I laughed.

"No, but I wouldn't mind getting to know him. He definitely looks like an interesting guy." I said and she shook her head skeptically at me.

With that we split our paths, she took a left turn at the hallway intersection and I continued a straight away path. I found my class and shifted my things to one arm and pulled the door open, walking into the badly lit room with a small spring in my steps. Suddenly, however, my footsteps stuttered; Liam was sitting in the back of the room.

I shut my open mouth and walked towards the last row of tables he was sitting at. He saw me approaching and his scowl deepened. "Hey again." I smiled brightly, sitting down in the seat beside him. He turned his head to glare at me, glacier eyes burning a hole though me.

"Don't you have an assigned seat?" he replied pointedly, and I shook my head.

"Nope, the teacher let's us pick where we sit." I answered him with a grin, and he groaned, sinking lower into his chair.

"Has your day been that bad?" I mused, arranging my book and binder on top of my desk so that they were straight and even.

He rolled his eyes. "I'm just trying to make it through the day without attempting suicide." He growled and I laughed loudly. He looked at me with his eyebrows raised.