Chapter 34

VOTE? COMMENT? WHATEVER JUST PLEASE :)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dinner couldn't have gone any better. All five of us talked animatedly with each other, telling stories and getting to know each other a little more. I was touched by how tight Liam's family was, which even included Cliff. They often finished each other's sentences, and when something funny was said, they would laugh or grin at some inside joke I was missing.

None of these things made me uncomfortable; instead it had quite the opposite effect. I felt like they were letting me in, welcoming me into their tight circle with open arms and filling me in on what I had missed over the years.

We were no longer strangers to each other. I almost felt as comfortable around the Silvers as I did with Cassie's parents, whom I thought of with a pang of guilt as Liam and I walked together out of the dining room with full bellies and heads buzzing with the newly acquired knowledge of each other, attainted during dinner.

I let out a small gasp when I heard a loud chime echo through the foyer. My eyes turned towards a extravagant grand father clock set against the wall near the front door, its delicate mahogany wood was carved with swirly, intricate designs, and the face of the clock was porcelain, paintedwith pastel colors that accented the peacock blue painted walls, and big brass hands pointing to the twelve and the eight.

"What?" Liam asked with a raised eyebrow, looking from me to the clock.

My stomach was rolling in both guilt and excitement. I realized that right about now Cassie was in the middle of her first volley ball game, her parents sitting alone in the bleachers disappointed that I haddn't shown up. However I felt rather elated, and yet baffled, that only an hour and fifteen minutes had only passed since I had stepped foot inside the mansion.

"Liam... what are your plans for the rest of tonight?" I asked with a peeking smile, looking up at him through my eyelashes.

He pursed his lips at me, his eyes squinted and skeptical. "Why?" he asked, and I grinned.

"Well, Cassie's first volleyball game started at seven tonight, and I almost always go watch her play. The games are usually two hours, and since it's only eight o'clock, I was thinking that maybe we could..." I trailed off, looking sheepishly at Liam as his face smoothed in understanding.

"You want me to come with you?" he asked, and something in his voice told me he was still skeptical about the idea.

I giggled and rolled my eyes. "Nope, I only meant to come here, eat your food, and thenskate off. Yes I want you to come with me." I teased and he pursed his lips in thought, his eyes searching my face for something I wasn't sure.

Finally a smile pulled up his lips and he shrugged. "I'll have Cliff bring your car up to the front." He said, nodded his head and gliding away from me, at ease as he took long strides back into the dining room and disappearing through the wooden door.

I smiled to myself and then at Cliff as he and Liam came back through the door. Cliff smiled at me and nodded his head before jogging out of the front door, probably to go get my car from the garage.

I heaved a sigh and turned on my heel, looking vastly back up the staircase, my eyes taking in every detail and committing it to memory. I never wanted to forget any of it, the smell, the style, the sheen. I wasn't sure why, but leaving right now made my stomach uneasy. It was like all of this was going to just disappear once I left, or perhaps I was worried that I'd never see it again.

Liam's hand lifted hesitantly before he touched the back of my head, smoothing down a few stray hairs. "Why do you look so torn?" he asked, confused at my pained expression.