Chapter 29

All morning I kept my eyes glued to the clocks hung up in all my classes. My whole body was buzzing with anxiousness, and a few times in the hallways I ran right into people, sputtering a quick apology before fumbling on my way like a zombie, my mind only on one thing; lunch.

After a ruthless hour of trigonometry I made my way to my locker and put my things away, turning on my heel as I shut my locker only to run right into someone. This was probably the seventh time today, so with a flustered face I looked up into the eyes of the person I knocked into and began to apologize, except my words never formed in my throat.

"You just killed my baby toe!" Liam said through clenched teeth, bent over a little and balancing on one foot while his hand clenched the other, probably the one I injured.

I laughed and rolled my eyes. "Aweh, want some cheese with that whine?" I teased, giving him a fake pout. He straightened up with a pained expression, though he managed to glare at me full blast.

"Smart ass." He scowled, turning away with me at his heels. We were walking in the direction of the cafeteria, and the route there was through an outer hallway, lined with floor length windows that allowed a nice view of the suburban houses across the street.

However it was always colder down that hallway and as we walked I felt a shiver run up my spine.

I hugged my torso to keep warm, but as my eyes lifted towards the windows a gasp left my mouth. "Liam, look! Snow!" I squealed, breaking off from his side and pressing myself very nearly against the glass, my breath misting over it.

I giggled and looked over at him, a few inches behind me with a grimace on his face. "Ewe." He said and my eyes widened.

"You don't like snow?" I asked him incredulously and he shook his head.

"In Maine, there's so much of it around winter time that you learn to hate it. It's a pain in the neck." He growled and I laughed, my hand on the cold glass.

"You are the biggest Grinch I've ever met, you know that?" I shook my head, reaching for his shirt and pulling on his sleeve. I pulled him closer to the window and he came along reluctantly, leaning a bit away from the window as if it were contagious. I pointed to the light flakes showering down from the sky, much too light to begin to accumulate on the ground.

"How can you hate that? It's so pretty." I insisted and he pulled his sleeve out of my grasp, stuffing his hands into the pockets of his beige sweater. I pressed my hands against the glass and smiled fondly out the window, feeling my fingers turn ice cold. I pushed off from the glass and grinned wickedly as Liam began to make his way back down the hallway.

I tiptoed behind him and with a lurch jumped up, placing my cold hands onto his cheeks from behind. He yelped and grabbed my hands, slinging me in front of him and then turning me around so that my back was against his chest, my arms crossed across my front while he held my hands in his warm ones near his sides, pinning me in place.

I was laughing hard now, my ribs aching as I tried to wriggle out of his hold but realized I wasn't getting anywhere. "The next time it snows, you can be sure I'm going to pummel you with snowballs. You will be so cold, you'll turn into an Aubrey popsicle." He said, and though he was trying to sound serious I caught the hint of a chuckle in his words.

"Is that a threat?" I asked him with a giggle, leaning my head back against his chest and looking up into his face.

He wrinkled his nose. "That's a promise." With that he let go of my hands, which were considerably warmer now, and ruffled up my hair as he began to walk forward once again.

I grinned and fell back into step with him, my hands in the back pockets of my jeans. "Gosh, snow already in the middle of October. I wonder if it'll snow on Halloween." I mused and he shuttered.